I want my solo(9)

Alacris Valencia

It was going to be an eight-hour-long drive to Maine. Tucker was eyeing the driver with suspicion filled eyes following his every move.

Dacey was calling the different people she had contacted for help and given contracts to them in regards to starting her own business, explaining the current situation to her best. She was telling them about her rejoining the previous job.

The car weaved its way through the heavy traffic, the sky-high buildings of the Big Apple shadowing us while the vehicle noises flared around us.

I put on my headphone connected to my iPod, Imagine Dragons 'Believer' falling on my eardrums and I began singing along with the lines in low hushed voice gazing at the rush in which we were participating too.

Only very few things matter in my life. I always felt like I got the best end of the rope. I have pretty amazing parents, more than awesome friends who would undoubtedly walk through hell for me, master degree in software engineering and a good-paying job.

My life is all about that. The happiness, the rush, and the adrenaline.

And a blue-yellow eyed man.

Where did that come from? That man, no matter if he created the new definition for sexiness, was bad news.

He was a rude, conceited, brash, snobbish and pompous asshole. But no matter what, I just couldn't stop thinking about him, about the pull I felt towards him.

I couldn't take my mind off him for a single second, he was always present in my subconscience ready to pop up at the first opportunity.

He looked familiar, not in the way I had seen him before, but still like I know him. He is someone who matters. He is a stranger but didn't feel like one.

By the time we were out of New York, the sun was setting down leading to pretty color combination in the sky. I slid down the glass of my window, my thoughts still roaming around him, teasing me, paining me but still providing comfort and warmth.

The trees surrounded us as if we were passing through a cocoon of serenity. The cold air kissed my face passionately, playing with my hair, entangling them in knots bringing a sense of thrill along with it.

The orange-red hue emitted by the sun coloring our surroundings with its shade and glow. I removed my headphones listening to the air whizzing past by.

The atmosphere was serene. The surroundings calm. It was beautiful. The type of beautiful where you want to forget about everything, about you and your life just to bask in the feeling of contentment.

Beside me, Dacey too dragged down her window's glass and leaned her head back on headrest gazing outside. She had a faraway look in her eyes, lost in her thoughts and probably moments which didn't exist anymore.

Soon, the tears glistened in her eyes, her eyebrows scrunched together in pain. I entwined my fingers with her, she held onto my hand tightly, her eyes still focused outside.

I too looked at the sunset's warm glow praying that tomorrow's sun will bring new hope and a fresh start for Dacey. She needed that.

We soon succumbed to darkness entrusting Tucker as our safeguard. In the darkness and subconscious state of my mind, the blue eyes tinged with yellow flecks greeted me.

They were glowing, providing me light though I could feel them drowning in darkness themselves.

I woke up with the ringing sound of my phone. I searched through my handbag trying to locate its position. I took it out and slide the answer key, pressing it to my ears, my eyes still closed.