Just a slip

Hathor Bloom

Lev and I stayed up until midnight; he told me many stories of the life his father gave him, and how at some point realized he had been so lucky to have been abandoned by his mother. Lev said he wouldn't change a thing.

One of the stories I liked the most was of when they first went on a trip together. It was a long trip to Italy, which is when Lev discovered his adoptive father adored the Tuscan region as if he had been born here. They spent countless hours playing in the pool, having fun daily picnics, and reading stories together under the covers with lanterns. According to everything Lev recounted, his dad was made to be a parent, though he never sought to have children of his own blood.

My guest fell asleep as he told a story. He was relaxed by my fingers running through his hair and the warmth our bodies shared under the sheets. However, it's been two hours since he drifted off, and I've been sitting by the window, still thinking about the kiss.

I shyly smiled as my fingers raised to my lips, remembering how it felt to have his mouth pressed against mine for that precious minute.

Trying to put it behind me, only leads me to relive it more and more.

"Ahh! Da!" I heard moaning from the room under mine. For a couple of minutes, I've been hearing a rhythmic thud, and now I know where it comes from. "Da! Da!"

I believe Svetlana is saying 'Yes' in Russian. That's one of the few words I know. I was learning some vocabulary to surprise Nikolai, but now I think it could cause the wrong impression.

It's ridiculous how I'm here, looking out the window at the stars, remembering an insignificant kiss; and that man is downstairs, having quite a good fuck with his girlfriend. And just thinking about how he rented the entire Winter Palace for a date...Nikolai must be so in love with her, and the kiss was just a slip — a mistake, as he said.

Even if I accept that information, it won't hurt me any less to listen to them have sex, while I long for another kiss. No one had ever had that care for me when kissing me.

"Gosh, she's so loud and not in a good way," Lev groaned as he tossed around the bed.

"Yeah," I leaned the side of my head on the wall. "How long have you been awake?"

"Twenty minutes," he answered. "Since the thuds and creaking started. You?"

"Haven't gone to sleep yet," I replied. "My head is going a million miles an hour."

"I would feel the same if the person I liked was fucking somebody else in my own home, and that loudly," Lev said as he slowly sat up. "Do you wish you were Svetlana?"

A light chuckle escaped my mouth, astonished by his bluntness "Are all Russians this blunt?"

With the tender light the moon shone into my bedroom, I was able to see Lev shrug "We've been through a lot of bullshit so we don't have time for it anymore, so yeah," he nodded. "What's the point of beating around the bush when you're getting to know someone?"

His words made me smile; he's weird, but in a good way "Why should I talk to you about what I might or might not feel for your friend? We met only a couple of hours ago."

"That excuse to not open up is getting a little old, malen'kaya," he lay on his stomach. "Come on, you know you want to tell me."