Middle

Nikolai Romanov

We've been back in DC for three days now. Hathor is usually locked in her studio — the room beside hers. She's always in there alone – says it helps her clear her mind from all the thoughts in her head.

It's almost time for lunch now, and the chef made spicy tuna sushi for her and I'm in charge of interrupting her so she eats.

"Hathor?" I softly knocked on the door.

"Yeah?" She peeked her head out of her bedroom door. I forget her bedroom and art studio are connected.

"Time for lunch," I told, approaching her. Her hair is damped and the usual scent of coconut dances all around her — she likes coconut oil shampoo. "The chef made you sushi."

Hathor softly smiled "I know, I asked Henry to make it for us — you told me yesterday you haven't had sushi in a while, and chef Henry makes the best sushi ever."

It's very thoughtful of her "I would hope so, he trained in Japan for six years."

Her right eyebrow arched as she stepped out of her room "How do you know that?"

"I read the CV of every single person who works in this house," I replied. "It's important for me to know every single thing about every single person who is near you. Most threats come from within."

Hathor chuckled as she slipped on her cream cardigan "I've known most of these people since I was a little girl and Robert took care of vetting them all thoroughly. Believe me, the first thing I read out loud was a background check on one of my nannies," she said, making me chuckle.

"One can never be too careful," I stated as we made our way to the stairs. "Oh, and whilst you were busy, some packages arrived for you."

"Oh yeah," she grinned. "I am expecting a lot of shoes, and before sundown, I was wondering if you could take some pictures of me; I haven't posted anything in a week."

My right eyebrow arched "Don't you enjoy life better when you don't have to post anything?"

Hathor nodded "But these brands send me gifts because of how many followers I have — it's my way of thanking them for it, plus they will keep sending free stuff."

"Then I'll be happy to help you."

"Thank you, Nikolai," she intertwined her arm with mine. "You know, it's not the following that keeps me posting; I like fashion, it's a form of art as well — that's why I do it. Dressing up has always made me happy. Isn't there anything that simple that makes you feel unbelievably happy?"

My cheeks turned slightly warm as I thought about Svetlana "I've always loved sitting on a sofa to watch my girlfriend do her daily tasks or even better when she's working on her research and she's so laser-focused that nothing can break her concentration," a deep breath left my mouth – I miss Svetlana, we hadn't been apart this long in over a year. "That's what makes me feel unbelievably happy – seeing her do the things she's most passionate about," I glanced at Hathor and she was grinning. "What?"

"Nothing," she shook her head with a giggle "that's very sweet and romantic."

I chuckled "I might break bones for a living, but there's a tender side to me."