Sweet drops

Hathor Bloom

A frown appeared on my face as I thought about what Nikolai said a couple of hours ago. He had a sadness in his eyes that I hadn't seen before, and he asked me if he could spend the night in the art studio — of course, I said yes.

It's 2 am and I haven't been able to fall asleep, thinking about what Nikolai is going through. The only thing I have in my mind is finding a way to make this better, without disrespecting his girlfriend's wishes. I don't know their relationship outside of what Nikolai has told me, but if I were Svetlana, I would want him beside me all the time. However, she must have valid reasons to ask for this much space.

I got up from my bed and opened the door that connects it to the art studio; Nikolai was sitting on the sofa, writing in his notebook "What are you still doing awake, Nikolai? It's past your bedtime," I joked, trying to make him laugh, but he only smiled lightly.

"Just writing a little bit," he replied as he closed his notebook. "What are you doing up? It's late."

Here's when I make something up because I don't want to bring back the subject "I was thinking that you should maybe sleep in the room across the hall; I've slept on this sofa, and you won't have enough room to move freely."

"Here is fine–"

"I insist," I got up and showed him my hand. "If you want to pee in the middle of the night I won't let you use my bathroom."

Nikolai got up "Fine." He's tired so I know he won't put up a fight, especially when I can match his level of stubbornness.

I led him to the room across the hall, which is a guest bedroom, though it was once my parents' bedroom.

"Here we are," I flipped on the lights. "You can make yourself at home; feel free to go wild and sleep under the covers if you like."

The man chuckled, making me smile "What? Why are you smiling?"

"Because you laughed," I poked his stomach and it was hard — I want to poke it again. "So, I'll let you get back to writing or maybe you should try to sleep—"

"No, don't go," he reached for my hand. "I don't want to be alone," his eyes fell to the floor but I could still see the frown on his face; there's a height difference.

I nodded "Okay, Nikolai," my free hand raised to caress his cheek "I'll stay here with you. What do you want to do?"

Nikolai looked at me with a weak smile "Can we watch Game of Thrones?"

"Of course, we can," I said with a big smile, guiding him to the bed. "I'll go get us some midnight snacks while you get comfortable in bed—"

"No no," he shook his head "I'll go get you snacks whilst you get comfortable; I'm the one who's making you stay up."

I giggled "Fine, please bring me some sparkling water."

Nikolai nodded still with his light smile "I'll be right back."

Nikolai Romanov

There's a sense of tranquillity that Hathor brings me that I desperately need at the moment. With her, I'm able to forget everything that's going on elsewhere. She has this ability to bring light just with her smile.

We've only watched two episodes of Game of Thrones, but she already fell asleep; she has been struggling to keep her eyes open.

I looked at her and she was peacefully asleep, so I pulled the duvet up to her neck so she doesn't get cold. Hathor gets cold quite easily, which is quite endearing to me. There have been times when I have to take my coat off and give it to her — it looks better on her anyway and I can easily handle December weather in DC.