Obvious

Nikolai Zharkov

My parents adore Hathor, they cannot get enough of her; I wasn't expecting anything else to happen though. Hathor can easily get into anyone's heart.

"Nikolai has told us you're an amazing painter," my mum commented as we sat at the dinner table, finishing up with dessert.

Hathor smiled my way with a light blush "He exaggerates."

"He does not," Henry told with an arched eyebrow. "And her photographs are brilliant as well."

Her blush deepened, but in the warm dim light of the dining room, only I could see it because I'm familiar with it.

"I would love to see some of your pieces, if you'll allow it of course," mum said.

Eleanor nodded "I would too; she doesn't let anyone into her studio," the last part she said looking at my parents.

Hathor nodded, I could see hesitation in her body language "Yeah, sure — tomorrow morning when the lighting is better."

My mother and Eleanor nodded, contempt with the answer.

I glanced down at my wristwatch "Mama, papa, I'll take you to the guest house; you two must be exhausted—"

"But I would love to speak to them," Eleanor interrupted with a smile. "We've got so much to talk about."

My mother nodded "I believe we do, Eleanor. Don't worry about us, please, get your sleep."

My dad looked at me confused, but he'll never disagree with my mother, at least not in front of anyone else. Whatever my mother is planning to talk to Eleanor about cannot be good if she doesn't want me here. However, I will discuss it with her tomorrow.

"Shall we?" I looked at Hathor, getting up.

Hathor nodded, pushing her chair back as she got up "Yes—"

"Oh, so you two sleep together?" My mother asked, not a drop of shame in her tone.

"Oh no, ma'am," Hathor shook her head and seemed embarrassed. "We only share a hallway, but we are so used to only being us that we just go to our separate bedrooms at the same time every night."

I scolded my mother with my eyes as I watched her grin "That was quite unnecessary, mother."

"It never hurts to ask, my love," she quickly replied with a smirk.

I'll deal with it tomorrow.

After saying our good nights, Hathor and I made our way upstairs.

"They're lovely, Nikolai," Hathor said as we walked towards our bedrooms. "Your dad is hilarious and your mother has so many stories."

I lightly chuckled "She talks more than she should most of the times; I'm sorry if she made you uncomfortable and I'll find a way to keep them away from the studio if that's what you wish."

"No, it's fine," she assured, glancing up at me. "If you trust them, then I trust them; I just have to hide some of my more...indecorous pieces." We both chuckled.

"Listen Hathor, I'm not sleepy yet, so I was thinking maybe you would like to come to my room and we could, um," I cleared my throat "I don't know, do whatever you want."

Hathor nodded with a grin "Just let me shower and I'll be right there, okay?"

I nodded "I'll clean myself up, as well."

Hathor Bloom

My fingers caressed the Cartier ring Nikolai gifted me through Odessa — I never take it off, only to shower, so I slid it back on.