Fizzy and sparkly

Hathor Bloom
Three weeks later

Being outside when it's snowing has always been something that brings me a lot of joy. The day of my birthday it snows without a miss — the day I was born the weather was terrible outside. Sometimes I wonder if that day the weather hadn't been that bad, maybe my mother would've left that same day.

"You should come inside," Nikolai said as he hung my coat on my shoulders.

I kept my eyes on the falling snow with a grin that made my cheeks hurt "Just a couple more seconds, I promise."

"Fine," he sighed "guess I'll have to tell your aunt that—"

"Aunt Elena!" I sprinted back into the house without even thinking about it. The coat fell off my shoulders as I rushed through the formal living room. "Auntie!" I swung at her arms in the foyer.

"Hi baby!" She laced her arms around me tightly.

"I missed you so much," I took in her jasmine scent and felt a weight taken off my shoulders. "I'm so happy you're back home."

Aunt Eleanor pulled away gently to look at me with a big smile "You have no idea how much I've missed you, my baby," she pecked both my cheeks, making me giggle. "Nikolai here tried to stall so you could have more time to watch the snow."

"She hates being bothered when she's doing something she loves," Nikolai commented with a chuckle. "I've gotten killer looks when I interrupt her painting."

I looked up at Nikolai with a raised eyebrow "That's a lie, except for yesterday when you scared me and my signature didn't come out perfect."

"That's what I was referring to, sweetheart," he gently rubbed my back. "I made those mojitos you asked me to."

I grinned "Perfect, we can drink and—" the doorbell rang, interrupting me. "Are we expecting someone else?"

Nikolai shook his head "Go in the studio with your aunt, now."

If we aren't expecting anyone and the security booth didn't call, then this could mean danger. Aunt Eleanor and I rushed to the studio. Just as we were about to go into the panic room, I heard Nikolai shout:

"It's okay, Hathor! You two can come out!"

"Wait," Aunt Eleanor stopped me before I was able to take a step.

"What is it?" I looked up at her worrisome.

She nodded with a soft smile, looking into my eyes "You're glowing, Hathor — I hadn't seen you smile like that, ever."

"Like what?" I raised an eyebrow, acting confused; I didn't want her to realize how much I love Nikolai.

"Like you're in love," she replied. "The way you glow when you look at him...it's beautiful; it reminds me of how I felt when I looked at uncle Elliot."

I lightly smiled "I have a lot of affection for him — we're best friends."

Aunt Eleanor nodded "Let's talk about this later. Over some champagne and deep dish pizza from your favorite place in Chicago," she winked.