Our reach

Nikolai Romanov

"Thanks Alvar," I smiled at the man in the guard booth, who smiled back. "Good to see you!"

"Good to see you too, Nik!" He waved as I walked past the gate.

As I made my way down the cobbler path to the house, I noticed how quick my step was; I'm impatient to see Hathor and hug her for the first time in what seems like years, though it's only been days, less than two weeks really.

Once I entered the house, I left my luggage on the foyer and made my way upstairs, without taking my shoes, coat or scarf off. I'll clean up the snow and dirt I dragged in after I've surprised Hathor.

I stopped in front of her bedroom door and smiled to myself; I don't think I've been this excited in a very long time. The anticipation is making my fingers tingle, which is something I could call enjoyable.

This is the same feeling I got whenever I went back to my parents after coming back home from missions. I knew I was coming back to safety and tenderness, which is exactly what I feel at this very moment.

However, just as my fist was about to meet the bedroom door, I heard Hathor giggle from inside "You're making this up."

Then the laugh of a man "I would never lie to you—" I immediately opened the door and barged in to find Henry sitting on the bed with Hathor.

My breathing was heavy and all I could do was try my hardest to kill Henry with my eyes. The happy feeling I was inebriated by was left outside the bedroom. I've been traveling for more than a day to get here, and this is not the scenario I thought I would encounter upon my arrival.

"Nikolai?" Hathor said in a confused tone. "What are you doing here?" She asked, getting up from the bed and stand in front of me. In all honesty I imagined she would jump to my arms as soon as she saw me.

Henry smirked at me "Nikolai wanted to surprise you, Hathor," he got up from the bed. "Think of what we spoke, okay?" The man said as he threw on his coat.

Hathor looked his way and nodded "I will."

"That's my girl," Henry leaned down to kiss her cheek and as a reflex, I pushed him. Henry only chuckled – this is satisfying to him and as soon as he's back from the holidays, I'll have a talk with him.

"Nikolai!" Hathor exclaimed preoccupied and leaped between us.

"What is it big guy? Don't like anyone but you touching her?" Henry smirked.

Before I could take another step, Hathor placed her hands on my pecs to keep me in my place "Please leave us, Henry — I'll keep our conversation in mind."

"Perfect. Have a good evening," then we were finally alone.

"What are you doing here, Nikolai?" Her face turned tender, which helped my anger settle down. "You're supposed to be an ocean away."

"I was worried about you," I said, looking into her eyes. "When you told me you were spending Christmas alone, I couldn't bare the thought of you spending such an important holiday, for you, by yourself; this flight was the earliest I could get, I'm sorry I didn't make it for Christmas."

Hathor only kept on looking at me as her lips curved into a smile, and then she wrapped her arms around my torso to hug me tightly — I missed our proximity. My arms quickly embraced her body.