Sparkling stars

Hathor Bloom

The feeling of someone's soft touch tracing my nose woke me up. When my eyes fluttered open, I found Nikolai with a gentle smile on his lips. He was already showered and ready to get on with the day.

"I made you some tea, sweetheart," his fingers removed the strands of my hair that were partially blocking my view. "It's not the traditional Chai you adore from Starbucks, but I think you'll like it."

A light giggle escaped my lips as I slowly sat up, successfully avoiding whiplash "You shouldn't have bothered."

"It wasn't a bother," he sat on the edge of the bed to hand me the cup and then he grabbed his. "I enjoyed making it for you and am having one myself."

"I'm glad I'm turning you," I said before carefully taking a sip. It was hot, but it was simply delicious — better than Starbucks. It has a stronger taste and depth I hadn't found in another cup of chai ever before, and believe me when I say I've tried everywhere possible. "Nikolai, this is exquisite."

My best friend grinned "It's a Masala Chai Black Tea I got back home for you, with some milk and honey."

I felt my cheeks turn hot "You brought it from Russia for me?"

He nodded as he took a sip "One of my parents' neighbors is from India and she always brings all kinds of teas for my mother and sister, and I stole this particular one from the pantry."

"Nikolai!" I scolded.

Nikolai chuckled "What? They won't notice, believe me when I say they have tea for a decade in that house."

"Your house," I told.

"Their house," he corrected. "I don't live there anymore."

"It's still your parents' home so it will always be your home," I smiled before taking another sip of the tea — it's really super delicious and it makes it even better that he made it for me.

Nikolai shrugged "I wanted to let you know that Svetlana is on her way back to Russia," he told and I immediately frowned. "Nothing to worry about; she just realized this trip was rushed and she should be with her family for the holidays."

I nodded "What about Lev? Has he gone back to his place?"

My best friend nodded "Yes, said he didn't get to rest at the hotel because the bed wasn't comfortable, so he went home to get some rest but I told him to come over for dinner."

I grinned "Good; I enjoy his company."

He cleared his throat "I know you do, that's why I asked him to come again."

My grin softened "Does it bother you that I enjoy his company? I mean, he's your friend."

Nikolai shook his head "No, it's not that," he took a sip of his tea. "It's really nothing, Hathor. I'm happy you two connected and have a good time together."

"We connected because you're a lot alike," I commented as my right hand reached to rub his forearm; I crave physical contact with Nikolai. "Lev is my friend."

"A friend that fucks you," he bluntly commented.

I couldn't help but blush — it makes me nervous to talk about this stuff with Nikolai, considering my feelings for him"Well, a girl needs to get pleasure from somewhere and it's more fun when it's someone whose company you enjoy, don't you think?"