A tear here, a tear there

Nikolai Zharkov

The only reason why I allowed Hathor to leave without me is that — she doesn't know this — but as soon as we arrived in the city we've had a security team always on us, just in case since we are no longer in the countryside. I have a lot of favours to collect in a lot of places, besides, I always make sure to have an ally wherever I'm going.

"So, Hathor..." Odessa said as she intertwined her arm with mine, and I gladly welcomed it.

My eyebrow arched "Yeah, Hathor..."

Odessa chuckled "Are you fucking her? You look at her with those lustful little eyes that used to look at me."

My face turned hot as I looked forward, waiting for the heat to cool down "Obviously not."

"You'll never be able to deceit me, Nikolai," she sighed deeply. "I taught you everything you know and I quenched your every first desire, do not think for a second that I'll buy your lies— at least try harder."

I looked down at her and she was smiling at me "You're insane."

"Am not!" Odessa laughed. "You're different since I last saw you, but good different— more open to life and you certainly smile more."

"I've only smiled once—"

"That's one more than when I last saw you," she repeated. "And only one thing has changed: you met her."

I deeply sighed "We kissed a couple of days ago, but that's all." She'll stop nagging if I give her something.

Odessa gasped "And how was it?!"

A chuckle escaped my lips — she's so eager "Hathor is a good kisser so it was great." It's honestly an understatement.

She squealed — it reminded me of our teenage days "And how did it make you feel?"

"It was wrong; I shouldn't have done it," I simply replied.

"I didn't ask that," she refuted. "Maybe the action was wrong, but did it feel right?"

I hesitated to nod — because I don't want her to know — but I did anyway, because if there's someone I can be honest with, that's Odessa.

"Can we please leave the subject there? I don't want to keep on talking about it," I stated, quite seriously. "It hurts, Odessa...more than it should."

"I think it hurts just the right amount for you to realise some things," she leaned her head on my arm. "But yes, we can change the subject. What do you want to talk about, simpleton?"

I lightly chuckled at her insult "Your business in Florence, for example."

Odessa giggled "Just some work things."

"Of which job? Museum curator or international superspy?" I whispered and she elbowed my rib cage. "Ouch! Suka," I groaned.

(Bitch.)

"You should've kept your mouth shut."

"You asked me personal stuff too," I complained.

"My inherited line of work is more than personal," she quickly replied. "How's Svetlana doing?" I stopped on my tracks and Odessa stood in front of me with a grin "See? I can make awkward questions as well, my darling boy."

My mouth stayed shut as my eyes wandered off, ignoring her.

"How about a reason to not give Hathor that Cartier ring yourself, huh?"

I immediately looked at her with a scowl "You're impossible."

"You're the one playing hard to get," she poked my chest. "Let's go get a drink, maybe that will lighten you up."