Blood lines

Hathor Bloom

"I hope your sister likes it and doesn't have it already," I said, handing the Versace shopping bag to Nikolai. "And be careful with your mom's gift—"

"They will all be safe with me in first class," he said with a smile. "You really shouldn't have gotten them anything."

I sat on his bed with a smile "I like buying gifts, and I don't have many people whom I can buy gifts for, so it actually filled my heart with joy to have people to give things to."

"That's really sweet of you, Hathor," his right hand touched my cheek softly as we looked into each other's eyes. "I've gotten quite used to being around you 24/7. Are you sure you don't want to come with me?"

I shook my head with a smile "I am going to spend time with my aunt, but don't worry, I'll miss you as well."

"Good," his fingers gently combed a strand of my hair behind my ear. Then, for a couple of seconds, we stayed in silence, looking at each other which made me blush. "I'll bring you something from the Christmas market," Nikolai broke the silence "you have everything already; I wouldn't know what to get you."

"You don't have to get me anything," I told and meant it. "Just make sure to keep in touch."

"Of course I will," his thumb traced my jaw. "I'll call you every morning and night."

"Good," I nodded "I need my friend and shadow."

Nikolai chuckled "You're funny."

"I know I am," I poked his stomach twice — it always leaves me wanting more; it feels nice and firm. "This is not a comfortable mattress," I said as I lay back.

He grinned, lying beside me "When you've slept in the places I've slept, any mattress is like a fluffy cloud."

"Hmm," I hummed, turning on my side to look at him "I've been thinking about taking a hiatus after the holidays."

"What kind of hiatus?" He looked at me and I smiled.

"From school," I replied. "It's not what I love, and if my dad doesn't care, then it isn't worth it. Don't you think?"

"I think you should be doing what you love and excel at, and that is painting and photography," he told. "You have money, so you don't need to follow the same path as everyone else — maybe you should do us both a favor and move to Italy."

I giggled "Maybe I should." A deep breath escaped my lips "Maybe you should do us both a favor and move to the room across from mine; you can keep a better eye on me if you're close, and the mattress there is actually comfortable."

Nikolai nodded "Okay."

"Okay?" My eyebrow arched "That easy?"

The man laughed "You wanted me to play hard to get?"

"I thought you would, Russian stud," I teased and he giggled. "Anyway, I'll redecorate the room while you're gone and once you're back we can move your—"

"Let's do it now," he jumped off the bed. "I don't have many things, and I do need a good night of sleep before getting on a plane."

I grinned, sitting up "Let's do it then."

We used boxes he had in his closet to pack everything he had in his bedroom. After an hour, we made our way back to the main house with the boxes. As we unpacked, we played some of the music I like, which is mostly jazz, Billie Eilish, and Rosalía.

"How did you discover Rosalía?" Nikolai asked as I kicked off my shoes to lay on the bed — my feet hurt.

I hummed with a smile "Scarlett was the one who showed her to me. Every day after school we would end up at her house or here, and every time before lunch we would have a dance party to Rosalía songs," my smile softened at the memories replaying in my head — I would do anything to undo the mistakes that led me to lose my best friend. "We wanted to go to Spain to see her as soon as she had tour dates..."

Nikolai stood at the foot of his bed, looking at me "Have you two spoken since it all happened?"

I shook my head "No. I saw her once after she found out, and it wasn't pretty," I sat up. "Scarlett was crying, inconsolably, and she screamed at me at the top of her lungs," a frown appeared on my face as my mind took me back to that moment. "She shoved me and sobbed, asking me why had I done that to her...and I didn't have an answer. Her dad came running out of the house to get her and then I left," my eyes glanced at him and he was frowning. "Before Matt, her ex, she had been in difficult relationships and I was the one holding her after those hard breakups. And, still knowing all of this, I was the one who went on and fucked the only two men in the world she blindly trusted...I understand why she never wants to see me or speak to me again."

Nikolai sat to my left and wrapped his arm around my shoulders to pull me close; I rested my head on his shoulder and sniffled.

"You made a big mistake, and you know that, right?" He asked.

I nodded "Yeah."

"And isn't that enough to forgive yourself, Hathor?"

I shook my head "No, because I made her suffer, and Scarlett was everything to me. We were like sisters for almost ten years, and I committed a monstrous act of betrayal."

He took a deep breath as his hand moved up to comb my hair "And isn't there something that will bring you closure?"

"Talking to her," I immediately said. "But that would be selfish of me because I know she doesn't want to see me, but I just want to get on my knees and apologize so she can see how repented I am; I don't want her to think I don't love her."

"How do you know she doesn't want to see you?"

My frown deepened "Her dad and Matt still call or text me sometimes—"

"For what?"

"For sex," I hesitantly said, ashamed of my actions.

"And do you ever reply?"

"I only saw her dad once after it happened," I told as my frown deepened. "A week before you came to work here, he intercepted me at a club and we had sex..."

"Hathor, again?" He asked in a scolding tone.

My breathing quickly became heavier as I pulled away from his touch to bring my knees close to my chest "I didn't mean it, I swear," I stated as tears rolled down my cheeks. "But Alexander was so nice to me, and he told me I looked pretty and he said he had been worried about me...couldn't keep his mind off me. I know I shouldn't have," my voice broke "but he made me feel safe and taken care of and adored...I'm sorry," I breathed out, rocking my body back and forth.

"It's okay, Hathor," he quickly sat behind me, with his legs on my sides. With his hands, he unlaced my arms to be able to pull my back against his front. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that," he whispered against my head "I'm sorry, sweetheart."

Nikolai held me for a couple of minutes in that exact position, telling me everything would be all right and apologizing for what he had said. But he shouldn't be apologizing, I would be baffled and confused as well. After saying how much pain it caused me to make Scarlett suffer, I fucked her dad again without giving it a second thought. For my own selfish and pathetic reasons.

We were in that position until I calmed down, then I turned around to sit facing him "You shouldn't apologize – your reaction is the correct one...I just get agitated when I think about the pain I caused Scarlett."

"Do you really want to keep talking about this, sweetheart?" he asked as his thumb pinched my chin, keeping my eyes on him.

I nodded "I feel like I owe it to you, to be honest about the things I've done."

"You don't owe me anything, Hathor," he said in a firm tone. "But if you want to be listened, then I'll listen."