Twenty Four

You followed Hobi from the elevator breathing slowly, letting your heart ease its pace against your ribs. At your keypad he waited for you to enter the code, you did but stepped aside so he could watch.

"Does that number have a meaning?" Hobi opened your door when the light turned green and you walked past him through the threshold.

"My stepfather's birthday."

"Birthdays seem to be a popular choice for door codes." He was too close it made all your senses misfire.

When the door shut you turned to him and shrugged awkwardly. You felt nervous but also uncomfortable. Sharing the song with Chansun was one thing, he knew your past and your skills. Sharing with Hobi was going to be a different experience altogether.

"Can you sit on the couch please? It will be easier if I'm at the keyboard and I don't have to see your reaction." You sighed hoping he wasn't about to say you were being disrespectful again.

"If that's what you want." He squeezed down your arm, his fingers lingering at your wrist before breaking away to the couch.

"It's not good, it's not done, but it won't ever be done. I don't plan on mixing it with boards, I don't even have them." You said it softly, you weren't angry at Hobi you weren't going to take this out on him.

"Can I ask a question?" You smiled a little, he sounded like you had upstairs.

"Okay."

"Do you need boards? Is that why you won't be finishing?"

"I have several, they're in storage." You said the words slowly, still watching your tone. Why did you suspect that if you said you didn't have any he'd make them magically appear?

"Got it." Hobi crossed his ankle over his knee and waited.

You sat down on the keyboard bench and flicked the power switch to on. You ran back the recorder and without thinking too deeply about it hit the play button. You weren't going to watch his face, you were going to stare at the wall and just get through this moment.

Halfway through you couldn't stand it, you cared about his opinion, you just needed a peek at his face. You turned and wished you hadn't, Hobi was leaning forward on the couch, eyes almost closed listening just like Chansun had.

He met your eyes and his smile was so lovely you felt something almost burst in your chest. You wanted to turn it off and ask him to leave. Instead you just waited it out the remaining ninety seconds and prayed the whole matter would be over.

"You did that? Where did it come from?" Hobi immediately questioned you as the track stopped.

"Just something I kept humming to Nabi." You shrugged, it wasn't serious, you'd treat it like it didn't matter.

"It's beyond amazing, Yoongi would lock you in the studio until you finished, it deserves that."

"I don't make music anymore."

"You made that." Hobi pointed at the recorder.

"To get my friend to come over. It was only to trick him."

"If that's how well you produce when it's a silly game then I wonder what you're capable of doing when it counts?" Hobi stood and closed the distance until he could crouch in front of you.

"I can't make music." You said it word slowly but with emphasis.

"Who taught you Y/N?"

His eyes were gentle and you wanted to tell him. You wanted to just let it all go right into his arms. Someone who wasn't involved and didn't know you and couldn't pick apart all the details.