vocal rest.

word count: 610
tw: none

awsten and i were lounging on the couch in the dressing room waiting until it was time to get ready to set up the vip m&g when i felt him throw a raisin at me.

"hey!" i scolded him and he smiled. "i'm literally right here, you could have tapped me to get my attention."

he grabbed his little white board and started scribbling something. given that he was on vocal rest until the concert, he couldn't talk. instead, he had a little white board that he used to communicate his wants and needs.

"CANT TALK." awsten wrote. i rolled my eyes.

"no shit sherlock. i said you could have tapped me." i replied. "anyways, what do you want?"

"ARE YOU MAD? :(" he wrote back, even adding a small frowny face.

"no, i just would rather you refrain from throwing a raisin at me to get my attention when i'm barely a foot away from you."

"WILL KISSES MAKE YOU HAPPY AGAIN?"

"i'm perfectly happy right now, but i wouldn't mind kisses."

i moved closer to him and he pulled me on his lap so we could kiss. we rarely got alone time during tour and of course our one afternoon that we got to spend just us, he couldn't talk. luckily, kissing didn't involve speaking.

we were soon interrupted by geoff and otto barging into the dressing room.

"ew, get a room." geoff said, lounging on the chair. otto laughed, sitting on the floor. awsten was soon to grab his white board and write something back.

"NOT OUR FAULT YOU GUYS CAME IN HERE. THIS WAS THE ROOM WE GOT." he wrote.

"yeah, but you gotta share the room with us. could've found a better one." otto replied.

"FUCK YOU." awsten wrote.

"hey, hey, be nice." i said, taking the white board away from him for a moment.

"now he can't communicate at all. peace on earth." geoff said. awsten immediately took the white board away from me again and scribbled quick and sloppily. it was almost not even legible.

"MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY GOING ON VOCAL REST JEFF."

"even spelt the name wrong. harsh." i said.

"when he can talk again, you might wanna hide, geoff." otto added.

"WAIT WHERE'S JAWN????" awsten wrote.

"he and daphne went out. they'll be back before the show." geoff replied. awsten looked a bit frustrated.

"SO THEY CAN GET ALONE TIME BUT Y/N AND I CAN'T?"

"maybe if you didn't spend it in the dressing room you would have had peace."

"WHERE CAN WE GO IF I CAN ONLY USE THIS STUPID WHITE BOARD?"

"uhm...the tour bus?"

"okay, okay, like i said let's all be nice. it's a lot of arguing even though one of you can't physically speak." i butted in.

"LOVE YOU TOO." awsten wrote. i shrugged.

"i'm just stating facts, babe." i said.

"I HATE THIS STUPID THING. I WANNA TALK, I WANNA BE LOUD."

"i know, i know. but you're showing your loudness by writing in all caps if that makes you feel better?"

"DOESN'T."

"then sorry, love."

"we have the m&g in an hour and then after that you can talk." geoff reminded his best friend.

"I'M GONNA BE SO FUCKING ANNOYING TONIGHT." awsten wrote.

"not even surprised." geoff replied.

we spent the entire next hour conversing with our voices and white board until they finally left for the m&g. awsten still had to use his white board for that but after he was completely permitted to talking and of course singing.

and of course, as promised, he was as awsten as he could be on stage.