speak now.

word count: 1874
tw: angst

then

"y/n! are you okay?" awsten ran to my aid, kneeling beside me as i cried.

"no, i fell off my bike. look at my knee." i pointed at my bleeding knee, which had blood dripping down from the wound being so fresh.

"oh crap, that sucks. come with me, we can get you a bandaid at my house." he said. he took my hand and helped me up, putting my arm around his shoulder. i giggled.

"my knee is scraped, not broken, silly goose. i can walk, you know." i told him.

"yeah, but i can still walk you like this."

"if it makes you feel like a hero."

his house wasn't very far because we were neighbors. that's how we became best friends. we only met recently but it didn't take us long to become close.

we got to his house and rushed to his bathroom where he had me sit on the toilet seat. he went into the medicine cabinet and grabbed a box of bandaids.

"do you like dinosaurs? cause they have dinosaurs on them." awsten asked me. i smiled and nodded.

"i love dinosaurs." i told him. he grabbed a bandaid out of the box and kneeled beside me, putting it on my scrape.

"there. good as new." he said, throwing away the wrapper. i smiled.

"thank you, awsie." i thanked him. he made a disgusted face.

"ew, don't call me that." he said. i just shrugged.

"now i'm going to because you don't like it."

"ugh, fine. i guess you can, but only you. cause you're my best friend."

"yupper."

"i'm thirsty. do you want a drink?"

"sure!"

the two of us walked to his kitchen. i sat at the barstool by his counter and he went into the fridge to grab a bottle of orange juice.

"i only have one bottle left but i'll share it with you." awsten told me. he grabbed two cups and split the bottle into the cups, then throwing the bottle away. he slid me my cup and sat across from me. "you should feel lucky, i only share HEB orange juice with people that are special."

"wow, i feel so lucky." i giggled, taking a sip.

"we should get married. then we can have HEB orange juice instead of that nasty wine that adults drink." he said.

"we can't get married, doofus. we're only 11. and, we're not dating and i think you have to be dating to get married." i reminded him, as a matter of factly. he just scrunched his eyebrows.

"uh, who says best friends can't get married? we can do it when we're older. we can be the first people not dating that get married, maybe they'll even put us in the world record book."

"hmm...i'll think about it."

"but, if we do, we're having HEB orange juice instead of wine. that's non negotable."

"don't you mean, negotiable?" i corrected him. awsten rolled his eyes.

"HEB orange juice. deal?" he insisted, he held his hand out for me to shake.

"fine. HEB orange juice." i agreed, shaking his hand. we shook on it and then broke out into laughter over our silly agreement.

after that, we went back outside and decided to ride bikes again. times were simpler then. easier.