Part fifteen

-𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝗣𝗢𝗩-

Victoria ran as she left a footprint. Behind her was a hunting party, several dogs with half a dozen armed men. "Guys, we got something," Charlie said as the deputies hurried to Charlie. They gather around to look at a footprint. The dogs start pulling them in a certain direction. As the posse takes off at a sprint, James and Laurent watch from a knoll. Victoria jogs up. "They took the bait," she said.

"By tomorrow they'll be halfway to Winnipeg," James added. Victoria lasciviously grabbed James' shirt as she pulled him to her. "I love when men chase me," she said as he grins, and started to take off her clothes. They pull each other toward the woods with carnal lust. It barely registers with Laurent, who continues to watch the posse with concern.

-𝗗𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗿-

Bella and Audrey got out of our trucks and hurries toward the entrance

Bella and Audrey got out of our trucks and hurries toward the entrance. Bella was trying to keep the joy on her face in check... with minimal success. Outside the door, we passed Mike, hanging out with several of his basketball teammates. "Audrey, why are you dating the freak?" Mike asked her. "Why do you care? Babyface" Audrey shot back. "Because you're my girl," Mike answered. "Since when doll?" Audrey asked. "Your first day," he lied. "She wasn't yours, to begin with," Bella reminded him.

"You're only interested in us because we're new here." "I'm new here, you came back home, Bella," Audrey reminded her. "Either way, she's mine," Mike argued. "Mike," Bella asked. "I have a warning for you. My dad's Chief of Police and he won't take this kindly." Mike nervously laughed. We headed inside and slid into the booth where Audrey's cousins and Charlie were in there. "Sorry, I'm late. Biology project," Bella told Charlie. Cora sets a top sirloin steak in front of Charlie, and a plate of seafood in front of Bella and the cousins.

"Ordered you four the seafood combo," Charlie spoke up. "Order one for yourself next time," Bella asked. "You should cut back on the steak." "I'm healthy as a horse," Charlie argued. "Say Chief, boys want to know, you find anything down by Queets River today?" Cora asked. He's aware of the loggers at the counter listening, too. He framed his answer carefully to keep everyone calm. "The suspect's moving east," Charlie explained. "Kitsap County Sheriff is taking over from here. They're putting extra guys on."

"Hope they catch him fast," Cora said as she walked off, with a measure of relief. Charlie and Bella passed each other the salt, butter for bread, etc., with an easy rhythm now. "Your friends are flagging you," Charlie spoke up. Bella turned to see Mike and the guys horsing around outside, straws in their noses and making faces at her. Mike's trying to shake his butt or something. "He doesn't have much of an ass," Elizabeth said. Bella smiled as Audrey giggled. "It's okay you wanna join them. I'm just gonna turn in early anyway," Charlie asked.

"Yeah, me, too," Bella shook his head. "It's like looking in a mirror," Ruth whispered in a not-so-subtle tone. Charlie laughed. "It's a Friday night. Go out. The Newton boy's got a big smile for you," Charlie added. "Nice family, the Newtons." "He's just a friend," Bella answered. "Friends don't go dates with each other, Charlie," Audrey added. "None of the boys in town interest you?" Charlie asked them. "We're not going to talk about boys, are we?" Bella asked. The cousins wagged their eyebrows at Bella as she whacked them with her hand.