I - 27 A slight hope

Pete

The first question to ask was why? Why kill Kinn and Vegas. For the first the answer was obvious. He was the head of the main family that controlled most of the business in town. He had immense power and he everyone feared him. His disappearance brought down almost the entire organization because no one was able to replace him. Tankhun hardly ever left the main house and Kim was inexperienced.

For Vegas who had been removed from his position as leader of the minor family I did not find so many good reasons, unless it was revenge related to his past actions.

So I came to the most plausible conclusion: it was Kinn who was targeted.

The second question was how? And there the answer lead to only one possibility. Indeed, only a person who knew that Tankhun had kidnapped Vegas, where he was being held and who drove Kinn when he left without protection, could have set up this trap. The answer was obvious, Uan was the only guard involved in all these events.

So I decided to make sure first that Kinn was the target. If that was the case the main family must be in big trouble.

I called Kim.

- Pete, I haven't seen you in days! Are you better?

- Can I come to see you, I have some questions to ask.

- Yes, of course, I'm waiting for you.

Kim

Pete came into my office which to me was still "Kinn's office". I couldn't get used to the situation but did I really have a choice?

- Hey Pete, did you want to see me?

- Yes and I ask you to be honest.

- How's business?

I had done my best to hide the difficulties of the family until then, but Pete was like a member of the family to me and I saw no reason to lie to him.

- It's bad. Not only our business partners threaten to leave us, but someone I couldn't identify yet sent men to steal some of our freight transport or do some serious damage in our casinos.

The bad news I gave to him seemed to make him happy!

- Excuse me, I didn't want to be delighted with your troubles, but that just confirms my suspicions.

- Which ones?

- I think if I find Uan I will manage to find out who want to harm you. I can't explain everything to you until I'm sure.

- Ok, I trust you. Look take Pol and Arm with you. You trust them and I don't want you to be alone on this mission.

- Thanks, I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Tankhun

Macau gave a bad look to New, who wore a bandage around his head that made him look like a fakir.

- I don't like you. He said to him

- Since the first day I saw you, you've been hitting on Pete.

- I don't like you either, you're pissing me off! And don't meddle in my business!

Macau walked over to New apparently looking for a fight.

- Stop! I shouted, putting myself between them.

- Both of you will shut up and listen to me now! Pete entrusted you to me and since I don't like to leave my house, you will stay in the main house with me until he returns.

- You, I say, pointing a finger to Macau. You will continue to go to class. A guard will accompany you every morning and pick you up in the evening. I don't want any trouble that could worried Pete more. And you, New, you're going to finish your recovering here. A doctor and a nurse will take care of you and I hope that soon you will be able to regain your memory. Maybe you'll remember something important.

- That's not going to bring my brother back to me! Macau said and he started crying.

New seemed sorry to see him cry.

- Listen he said. This situation is complicated for everyone. I know you can't stand me so you won't even know I'm here, I'll stay in my room, we won't even have to meet.

And he went to his room.

Pete

Pol, Arm and I were drowing up our plan.

- Apparently the guy who organizes the attacks hired all the local scum. All the worst street thugs. We have to infiltrate their ring, so we're going to pretend to be some pests. Pol you will start hanging out towards the harbor and you will start small fights to get yourself spotted.

Arm and I are going to go betting in cockfighting and we'll have a knife fight over a bet to see if we get any attention. We 'll made a briefing at the end of the day and if you ever meet Uan you contact me immediately.

- Oh great, said Pol, I love dressing up. I already have an idea of ​​what I'm going to wear.

- Yeah, don't push your luck, buddy.

I felt alive again. I didn't know if I would see the light at the end of the tunnel, but this tiny hope to find Vegas alive gave me wings. I was ready to risk everything to find him.

Oh Vegas my love you gotta hold on. I'm coming for you.