II - 18 A man who can handle it

Vegas

Kinn approached me.

- Let me have a word with you in private. Turning to Porsche, he added :

- I promise I won't try to get him on my side, but I must have a private chat with him.

- You got five minutes.

As I exited the room I faced Pete who was holding a sleepy Venice in his arms.

- Come on, too. Kinn said as he pulled us a little further in.

Pete was looking at me anxiously. His eyes asked me, "What's going on?

- Vegas, forgive me for dragging you into this. I can only ask you this because in this situation you are the only one I feel I can trust. Leave with Porsche and save me some time until I find out what's going on. I'm gonna put all my men on any possible tracks and I promise I'll find her safe and sound. But I beg of you, please keep Porsche safe, the situation has driven him completely out of control. I'm not trying to get you to choose sides, I'm just trying to protect us all. You are the only one he listens to, you know?

- Give some time with Pete.

- Okay, I'll go back. Help me, please.

He was leaving the room. I was briefing Pete on the situation.

He came over and put his forehead against mine while taking my hand.

- What am I supposed to do, Pete?

- You and Kinn are the only ones who can handle Porsche when he is in such a state. I will not influence your decision, but I confess that I am scared for Porsche, he is so impulsive!

- I just want you to wait here and take care of Venice and Macau. I'll call you as soon as I can. I love you.

- Not as much as I do.

After kissing her lips and Venice's forehead, I left to join the others.

How could I, a hothead who used to not care if all these people lived or died, find myself responsible for them, for their care ?

Do they trust me that far ? Can I do it? All these questions were running through my head as I entered the room where the atmosphere was more than tense.

Porsche was looking at me with questioning eyes.

- Have you made up your mind?

- The minor family is my family. I'll go with you, but I have conditions.

- I'm all ears.

- This house and the ones who live in it will remain as a neutral zone, nobody will bother my family.

- Okay.

- Porschay will stay here for the moment, he's way too immature and unexperienced to get dragged into this.

- Ok. is that all ?

- No, I'm not your minion so we'll figure out how to do this together and you'll have to listen to me as I listen to you.

- We have a deal. Let's go, time is running out.

As I left the house I waved goodbye to the three people who were my whole world. I had no idea when I would see them again.

Pete

It was truly a washout. Just a few hours ago we were swimming in pure happiness and now it turned out to be a tragedy. I longed to leave with him but I knew he was relying on me to handle the family.

I walked towards the room where Kinn and his men were talking.

- Pol, Arm I'll leave the Italians in your hands. But don't make any waves, I only want to know if something unusual happens, keep an eye on the comings and goings, ask your contacts and report back to me.

- Okay, we'll take care of it. Says Pol.

- New I know you have dealt with the black vests drug dealers from the south side, so I need you to sneak a peek. Do you feel able to do it?

- Yes master, thank you for your trust in me.

- Come on, guys, let's go home. Pete, sorry for all this, and thanks for looking after Porschay.

- No problem. Please keep me posted as soon as you get any news.

I knew Macau was heading for New. Only I would know the exact nature of their relationship, and already I guessed he was planning to go with him. I grabbed him by the arm as he was passing.

- You have to let him do his job and not put yourself in the middle of it, or it will be even more difficult for him. I know you want to go with him but you can't and you know it. You're not experienced enough.

He gave me an annoyed look.

- I need you to be here. I promise you that meanwhile I will train you myself so that you are ready next time. Now hurry and talk to him before he leaves.

He resigned himself and walked over to talking to New.

Suddenly the house felt so empty after everyone was gone. I didn't give in to my sadness because Venice opened his eyes and gave me the brightest smile ever.

- "Oh, baby, I've missed you so much! Let's catch up together, shall we?

- Baba!" he chirped, smiling.

- Do you wanna play together?

Venice nodded as I got his toys. I was unable to be with the one I loved, but I was focused on the well-being of the ones who counted on me. I care about them so much! I thought.

While Pete and Venice were busy playing and laughing, a shadow slipped out the window to watch them.