II - 9 A trip for two

New

The phone was ringing.

- Hello? A soft and melodious voice replied.

- Hello. We don't know each other, I am New, my master wanted me to visit you.

- How can we not know each other! My son told me so much about you.

A sob came from his throat.

- I wish I could have met you earlier my boy, when Chan was still with us.

- I will be at your place in a couple of days, is that all right? So we can chat about him.

- Yes, I will wait for you, I got so many things I want to tell you. See you soon, my little New.

Her tone was so soft and tender that I longed to meet her. Chan had probably sent me to her as he knew that she would have the words to comfort me.

I came back and sat down in front of Macau.

- So it's settled?

- Yes, we could arrive it in a day but I wanted to stop at a temple I had heard about. And afterwards we could spend some time at the beach, swimming, eating shells and sleeping on the sand, that would be nice, right?

- Good idea! Let's enjoy these days and enjoy a vacation. Come I noticed there is a market nearby, let's have a look there.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the café. Since we had left he was like this, cheerful, happy for everything. I was comfortable, with him everything was easier.

- Look at this. He said, as he put a key ring with a black cat in front of my eyes.

- It looks like you, it has your black eyes and a stubborn look like you.

- Well, since you criticize it, you'll get the pink one! It's as pale as you! I grab him laughing and hang the motor bike keys on it and shake it in front of his face.

- Meow Thanks. I throw him by patting my hand to imitate a cat's paw.

We spent the rest of the day riding, crossing beautiful landscapes, and stopping as every place or monument that caught our eye.

In the evening, we found a nice little restaurant on the beach and grilled some shells. The conversation revolved around our favorite games. After eating we would sit down the seaside and enjoy watching the waves licking our feet.

Macau suddenly asked me:

- Why did you decide to be a bodyguard ?

- I didn't decide that at first. It was only when Chan died that I realised I had always been admiring him for taking care of me, as well as for his job. He commanded respect no matter where he was, people wouldn't dare to look him straight in the eye or to raise their voice to him. He was completely focused on his job, it was not even a job for him, it was a way of life. People often believe there is good on one side and evil on the other side, and that gangsters are just evil. But often they are people who do not accept the corrupt system we live in and they rebel in their own way. I believe deep down he believed he was doing the right thing. Anyway, I'm talking too much...

- No I think you're right! And besides I have something to confess...

- Go ahead I'm all ears.

- In fact I have realized how selfish I have been living until now. I've been sheltered by my brother a little too much, so I've turned into a spoiled and arrogant child. But since I met you I wanted to change, and when you asked me to go I had already made up my mind. I was about to ask my uncle to take me into the bodyguard training program. I wanted to start from that level to get stronger and to learn how to stand on my own two feet. And because

- Because ?

- I wanted to be with you!

I couldn't say a word, the emotion tightening my throat. In that time when the two of us had shared our dreams and hopes, I couldn't bear to hurt him again by telling lies.

- I know, you told me you were dating someone but it' with me that you left ! Last time you stopped me but I must tell you now. I love you and not as a friend. I know it's a one-sided love but it doesn't matter. Hanging out with you made me realize how wonderful you are, I love all about you, the way you are, the way you respect others, the warmth of your friendship. Once we started spending time together apart from dramatic situations, I got to know the real New, the one who is warm and cannot stand injustice. You can talk to me about anything, even the person you are in love with, because no matter what happens I still want to be your friend.

- Close your eyes, I don't want you to look at me when I say it.

Macau

He doesn't look at me, I wonder if he is bothered or upset because of what I said. Well Macau, it's time for you to be brave.

I close my eyes. I can feel his face very close to mine, his breath caressing my cheek.

- The one I love is you Macau.

And he puts his warm and soft lips on my lips.