Prologue

Not a soul in sight. It's just me lying peacefully under a big tree. It's a harsh afternoon—for me at least. The sun seems to be feeling a bit violent today, making it quite hot to even do something. Or that's purely my laziness talking. Either or, I have this urge to have a quick nap under this tree. The leaves rustle lightly whenever a soft breeze hit the branches, making the tree play a lovely lullaby for me to sleep. Occasionally, there will be birds chirping alongside that lullaby. Who wouldn't want to have a quick rest under this tree? The aperture between the sunlight and the leaves on the tree is a bit scarce, so I wouldn't worry one bit of a streak of sun hitting my eyeballs.

But there are times my peaceful moment will be interrupted by something. That something can sometimes be annoying or a present from the universe. The familiar voice calling my name is an example of a generous present from the universe, mainly because that same voice brings a smile to my face every time we talked to each other. Like any other day, I pretend to sleep to what will the voice do and at the same time tease them.

"Hey, Vydor!" I let out a mental sigh at the sound of my name from her lips. It really does sound perfect from her voice. But that beautiful wouldn't stop me from faking my sleep. I'll do every chance I get to tease her. "Come on, wake up!" Her voice seems to get closer and closer, but it doesn't sound annoyed. It just sounds... Urgent. Like she needs me to wake up and tell me something. I hope that something is incredible news. But who am I kidding, being her boyfriend is the most inconceivable thing that happened to me. So, whatever she wants to tell me, it wouldn't be as unbelievable as the moment we've exchange our feelings to one another. "I know you're not really sleeping, you've done that antic far too many times." I still pretend to be asleep because what else should she do. Hit me with a stick? "If you don't open your eyes in this second, I'll hit you with this stick I've picked on the ground."

I silently scoff at the thought of her trying to hit me with a stick. She wouldn't do that. I've known her since we were children, and there's no way she'll hurt someone. She's considered to be a cinnamon bun. But the sudden pain coming from my leg had told me otherwise. I've opened my eyes while my face wince in pain as my vision take in the gorgeous woman who just hit me with a stick. "What the fuck, Gail?" With that stick in her right hand, she looks like a discount version of Ciri from The Witcher.

She drops the stick on the grassy floor and crossed her arms together like a preschool teacher frowning at her obstreperous children. "Stop looking at me like that. I did warn you before I strike the stick on your leg." She did warn me, but I didn't believe at her warning that she'll actually do it. I guess that's my fault.

I raise both my hands in a mock surrender, "In my defense, I did not anticipate you actually hitting me with a stick."

She rolls her baby blue eyes at me, "Next time it would be a thick encyclopedia if you keep on pretending to sleep while I call you."

Because of her ability of hitting me with a stick, I've realized that I should believe her that she'll bring a thick encyclopedia next time. The thought of getting hit by an encyclopedia is quite terrifying and painful to even imagine. Pulling my mind away from that warning of hers, I place my thoughts back to the reason she's calling me and interrupting my peaceful moment with nature—or other cliché about peaceful moment. "So, why did you interrupt the troll under the tree?"

She scoffs the moment I've described myself as a troll. "Don't call yourself a troll." She takes a step forward until she's beside me under the tree. Her hands hold on to the tree as she lower herself to the ground.

"Fine, is it because I'm much more handsome than an actual troll?" I grin out my arrogance at her.

"I don't know, I can name some trolls that are more handsome than you." She stares her baby blue eyes towards the opening between the leaves and the clear sky above us.