| 43 |

"Waiting is a mistake," Declan's voice kept echoing in my head on our way back to our car. Even after that conversation, it had been echoing inside my head. During the continuation of working on the stage play together, it kept ringing in my head those four words. Even though it's only four words, it undeniably does feel heavy and strong. "Waiting is a mistake," I somehow mutter those words to myself without anyone hearing it. Or maybe I'm just imagining that I've muttered it out loud. Luckily, the day is about to end without anyone suspicious about me accidentally muttering those four words. The only problem left now is Gail—who's walking beside me back to the car.

As we left the theater and into the cool evening breeze, I momentarily closed my eyes while taking a deep breath. "Woah, the evening is still young." I heard Gail blurt out those words as I kept my breathing steady. When I open my eyes to look at her, I only seem to watch her look right above the evening sky. "Are you sure you want to head home?" She asks, but then lowered her head and turned it to face me. She flashes me a bright smile. A smile that is as bright as the moonlight shining on her smooth hair. "The night is still young! That's what you used to say whenever I needed to go home, right?"

"Yeah, that's right." I nervously turn my head lower to kick a rock that is close to my foot. A smirk seemed to have found its way to my face, since I could feel the corner of my lips lifting up. A feeling of pride washes through as the cold evening air caresses my skin. I can't believe she still remembers the words I used to say to her. Words that usually get her in trouble because she's always coming home late. Her parents don't want her coming home late, so ordinarily those words I said to her don't affect her desire to come home. Mainly because I didn't persuade her enough, and I genuinely don't want her parents to get angry at her. "Do you want to go somewhere before heading home?" I ask her right after I lift my head up to meet her blue eyes. "Your choice, Gail. Whatever you want to do."

She gave me a tentative smile before averting her gaze away from me and towards the direction of my car. "Let's just go home and watch some movies," She shrugs both of her shoulders as if she couldn't figure out what else we could do. It's quite understandable that she doesn't know what to do since she grew up always getting home early, plus we're in the city and I have a feeling she's not quite familiar with the city yet. "Unless you want to take me somewhere else, and I haven't gone to?"

I turn my entire body around to the direction where I always hang around whenever it's still early for me to go home. It's also the place where I find peace with my thoughts. I would like to take her to the pier where the land meets the ocean. And I'm guessing at this time of the hour the moon is already half-way up to the horizon and its moonlight reflection ripples around the water surface as the cold air pushes the water gently. I want that place to be a special place for the both of us.

I turn back to look at Gail, and she seems to be wearing a small smile. A smile that's only for me to see. The same smile she always wore whenever I wasn't looking. "Waiting is a mistake," Declan's voice whispers against my ears once again, and I had to contemplate whether to drive her home or drive her to the pier. Watching movies on the couch with her doesn't seem that bad, maybe during watching a movie, I could tell her what I feel. Because if we go to the pier, it would be a straightforward situation. I take her there and sit in silence for a while and just blurt it out to her. I might take her to the pier if I want to ask for her hand in marriage someday, but for now, watching movies seems to be a great choice here.

Giving her my hand and I watch her stare at it in silence, "Come on, let's go home. The idea of watching movies all night seems intriguing."

She lifts her head up to meet my eyes and when they do meet, she smiles at me while taking the hand I'm offering to her. "Yeah, maybe while watching some movies, we'll find some inspiration for writing a new stage play." I like that word so fucking much. The way she mentioned "we" as if we'll be working together on writing stage plays forever, feels great in the chest. It feels right, and it lifts off some nervousness I'm feeling inside. Maybe she wants to stay with me here in the city. There's only one way to find out, is to drive home and watch some movies and tell her that I want her to stay with me here.