| 33 |

Once I reach the office floor, the only odd thing that I first notice is Stella and Gail both wearing a worried expression on their faces. I'm also trying to ignore the fact that Ethan is trying his best to act like he's not listening. I don't know how to tell him that leaning forward doesn't really hide the fact that he's eavesdropping on their conversation. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he can even hear what the two women are talking, since his face doesn't indicate that he understands what they're saying. After stepping foot on the office floor, I also noticed a second odd thing that is happening. Favian is talking on his phone out in the open. He doesn't answer his phone in public like this, instead he usually excuses himself to head to a place where it's private. In this scenario, his office room should be private enough to take the phone call, but it doesn't seem like he's planning to move to his room any minute now. Whatever he's talking about on the phone must have made him forget that he's in public.

As I get closer to my station, Ethan seems to have a sensor for when I'm near him, since he suddenly perks up to glance at me. A cheeky grin forms on his face that either means, "I've been eavesdropping, and I have news for you" or "I'm glad you're here because I couldn't find anything interesting, and I'm having a hard time listening to eavesdropping". I assume his grin has something to do with the latter since once I sat down in my station he slid his chair away from his station to bump into mine.

"So, did you two have another kissing scene while I was gone?" Oh, the urge to strangle him had gotten stronger than before. So, that's why he'd gone ahead to head back to the office. "Because I hate that I've ruined your moment with her in the elevator that morning." Ethan's grin widens to the point that I wasn't certain that it'll get wider than his usual grin.

I playfully slapped a hand across his face, "Oh sorry, there was this annoying grin on your face and I just want to get rid of it." With a slow nod, I watch as Ethan gently rubs the cheek where I struck him. "Also, don't... Don't fucking mention the elevator incident again. Actually, no, don't even try to talk about anything right now." I turn my body around to turn on my laptop, ignoring Ethan's plea for attention.

"Come on, at least tell me what you guys had talked about during your drive back." This might be the very first time I hear Ethan whine like a child. And I'm wishing I won't be hearing it ever again in the far future. "Fine, don't spill anything to me. But do you have any idea what Stella and Gail are talking about? The two of them look worried for some reason."

So, he didn't hear them properly, and he's resulting to ask my assumption on what's going on. Instinctively, I glance my head up to the direction where Stella and Gail are talking. To my surprise, Favian—still talking to his phone—had gotten closer to them. I glance back to Ethan, who has his eyes boring down on mine. I can see the spark of curiosity as well as a hint of worry in his pupils. "Look, I also don't have any idea what they're talking about. What I do know is that trying to eavesdrop on a conversation that doesn't include you is considered rude." I can't even count on how many times Ethan tries to eavesdrop to any conversation he'll find interesting. One day, he'll get in trouble for eavesdropping.

"Hey," He points a finger at me and lightly jabs it in the center of my chest. "Thanks to my ability to eavesdrop, I can create a great article about something. I know it's rude, but it's a great strategy to have some inspiration on writing an article." Ethan averts his glance away from mine and back to the women talking. "Still what's your initial thought on what they're talking about? Anything at all because those worried expressions don't bode well."

With a sigh, I turn my head back to my laptop on the desk. "I don't know, Ethan. They could be talking about anything that can bring worry to both parties. Maybe something about Gail's parents, or another lecture about giving them a heads-up on where she'll be going." I begin to type something on my laptop, trying to fight the urge to glance back and watch the two women talking. "You know how Stella and Favian have a tendency to act like overprotective parents every so often. Maybe they're acting like one now to Gail."