Chapter 43 (Final Chapter)

King Caster POV

"Today is the day when everything needed to be done for Prince Jacobe and Crowned Princess Elnora to move into their new home." I thought to myself as I made my way to the meeting room to meet my counselors. Wanting them to feel as secure and at home as soon as possible, I opted to skip breakfast to have a meeting so they can be settled before dinner time today. I've had at least one meal with them everyday since they have been here, but today I won't be able to do that since I'm getting everything ready.

As I round the corner that leads to my office I over hear some of my counselors speaking.

"Honest, if it wasn't for the King taking this task personally, I would have shown them the true welcome those filthy brats deserve. I can't believe His Majesty wants to waste precious resources on the likes of them!" The man said. Immediately, I knew who was speaking and could guess who he was speaking to before they spoke.

"Hush! We don't want anyone overhearing this. However I do agree with you. To think His Majesty would house them. They will endanger all of us! Their war has nothing to do with us, and the nasty King Desmond will think we are plotting against him and attack us as well!" The other man said.

"Just leave it to me. I'll get these guests to leave our country and make it so they'll never want to step foot here again. Just wait, they'll be running towards that idiot King Desmond. Don't worry, I've already left them a small surprise in their new house." He laughed boisterously. "Now let's head to this meeting before the king shows up." They then picked up their pace and made it to my office.

I took a mental note to punish those two publicly. They were already going to be punished for disrespecting Jacobe's family, now they plan on making my guest feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I already know what punishment they will receive. However first things first, I need to send people over to inspect the house. I make a subtle gesture with my hand and two people appeared before me.

An older man and a young boy appeared before me, both in robes. I've known this man my entire life and I've met this boy only twice before; however, they both had my full trust.

"Thank you for coming Court Mage Alvyn Nobleoak and Apprentice Korey Argolde. I've called you because it has come to my attention that some of my counselors are plotting against my guest. One of them has even left "a small surprise" as he so eloquently phrased it. I need you to check the house to make sure there isn't anything that could harm them, scare them, or make them sick. I need this done before my final inspection at lunchtime. And I expect a full report on everything." I said. Right after I was finished they both bowed and disappeared.

Afterwards, I squared my shoulders and continued to walk. I picked up my pace and made my way down the hallway and stood outside my office for a brief moment. Not wanting to let my anger take over, I took a few deep breaths and put on a smile. Everyone needs to think I am oblivious to what's really going on, that way I can find the full extent of this betrayal.

Pushing the door open I walk in and all eyes are on me and everyone stands. Since everyone knew I would be leading this meeting, my stand in, Thomas, is taking care of my other duties. I make my way to my seat, making sure I make eye contact to everyone. However, two men could not meet my eye.

I took my seat and they all followed. I then looked at Sir Tyreke, who was in charge of the finances for Prince Jacobe. Sir Tyreke is an older gentleman who has rumors of extortion. He claimed these rumors were unfounded, and my investigation yielded no results, but I believe he is doing something.

However, without undeniable proof, if I move against, those who are corrupt will blame me being young and say I don't know what's best for my country. I will not have these men belittle me.