Chapter 29

Jacobe POV

When I opened the door to the carriage I was shocked to see Elnora being held by Emily. I had expected her to be out for a few more days. But I'm happy she is awake and was able to comfort Elnora when I couldn't.

We started talking in hushed tones. I formed her of my new name and answered some of her questions. To not be too suspicious I told her we will talk later in depth. But I did tell her we will be traveling in a caravan.

Honestly, I'm still not too sure about that decision. We will be able to cross the border with ease, but we may be slowed. We will have more people to help us fight, but we will have more people to defend, and some may die. I don't want to bring innocents into this battle.

Before I could get too far in my thoughts,  Grant caught my attention. He and Nancee were trying to get Nico to open his eyes. It was all in vain, as he was shot in his back three times. All arrows were lodged in his back deeply. I did remove them before I started fighting, but that just means he bled out and succumbed to his wounds.

I hugged Elnora a little tighter, trying not to think about how he is dead because of me. Emily must have sensed how I was feeling because she put her hand on my shoulder to comfort me.

I turned my head in shame. Upset that I couldn't even protect one person. I'm sure Nico died hating me.

Just as I finished that thought, I heard Nancee laugh and heave a sigh. Confused about what she could be laughing at in a situation like this, I turn my attention to them.

There I see Nico with his eyes open. Surprised, I hand Elnora to Emily and get down on the floor.

Now that I'm closer, I can see Nico is breathing as well. His chest is rising and falling slightly. Amazingly, he hasn't died yet, but if we don't get medical attention soon he will die.

I'm saddened by the thought, but at least I can make it so he isn't alone. To let him know I'm with him, I grab his hand firmly. It's only for a few moments, but I smile when he grips my hand back.

As I get up and exit the carriage, I see only Stanley and Mark talking. As if sensing my presence, Stanley turns around, effectively putting an end to their conversation.

"How is everything? Do you need my assistance?" Stanley asks with genuine concern.

"What I need the most is someone with medical knowledge." I sigh.

"How much longer until the caravan gets here?" I ask, trying to change the topic.

Stanley sighs before answering.

"I sent Jermain to let them know it's safe." He paused as if debating if he should tell me the rest. Once he made up his mind, he continued.

"I had him tell the leader that we are traveling at a fast pace. They will have everyone who cannot keep up inside the carriages. We also will not be stopping until we have some distance between us and the border. I understand that night is coming fast, but I believe it would be best to be out of this country before the sun has fully set." He finished.

I understand the decision made and I agree, however, I did have some concerns.

"We have to travel through Arocall before we reach the border. Since Arocall is the last city we pass Border Patrol is very strict. How do you plan to get across?"

I needed to know because I will not be held back because of them. When we were in Heartreach, the Generals made sure we had everything we needed to get across. Not to mention, we are traveling with actual Guardsmen.

"As I mentioned, our Caravan is going to the festival in the capital of Tarnithia. We go every year, so we do not need passes. However, if we run into a guard who doesn't know us, we have a letter from the King inviting us," Stanley stated calmly.