Chapter 36

Jacobe POV

Walking through the streets of the capital, I have to admit that the policies they implemented allowed the citizens to live such carefree and happy lives. When I have an audience with King Caster, I'll have to ask him what policies are in place, what caused those policies to be needed, and what immediate effects were noticed afterwards.

Honestly, I will have so many questions for the king. Such as living arrangements and learning different ways of ruling. Since I am a male, that is the one subject that I wasn't taught sufficiently. I was only taught about the past Queen's and their protectors. How if the Queen did not have a brother born before her, a nobleman son who was at least five years older was chosen.

There were a few houses that has supplied the Royal Family with protectors. The sons of those families were put through a similar training as I. Since I was born a Prince, my training started at an earlier age than the others.

The houses that provides the Kingdom with Protocters are families from previous Protectors. Which means all of them are distant relatives of each queen.

I'm sure King Caster is aware of our teaching system. As a royal, he's had to learn how we govern Liquidora as well as his own country Tarnithia. So hopefully, he'll be willing to assist me.

However, ot not as if I know nothing. After most of my training was completed, I was called back home to finish it. There I learned about strategic diplomacy for both domestic and foreign parties. As well as how to ascertain who has sincere and nefarious intention.

No doubt these skill will come handy, but there is more to ruling a successful country.

While I was lost in thought, my group was able to maneuver through the crowded market place. At first, they were hesitant because they didn't see any other carriages, however yhey became more confident when they noticed people making room for them.

"Excuse me, Sir Everett?"

I was pulled from my thoughts upon hearing my name being called. I looked and saw Nancee waiting for me to respond.

""I'm sorry Nancee. I didn't hear what you said. Would you mind repeating what you said?" I asked, giving her my full attention.

She regarded me before she spoke.

"Are you alright? You've been distant lately. Is there anything I can do?" She asked with genuine concern.

"I'm fine. Just going through different situations to be prepared. At the moment the only thing I need is to make sure we get to the castle. This kingdom looks safe, but I still want to make sure we aren't being followed." I said as I turn to look around us.

To the right I see Grant, being vigilant abd staying aware of his surroundings. I turn to the left and and see Nico is doing the same. Something changed in Nico after the ambush.

He asked for permission to learn medicine from Dr. Lashmar. Initially, I was surprised; however, I decided to let him go ahead and learn. We need somebody on our team that knows how to administer proper medicine.

After I granted him leave of his duties, I rarely saw him for the rest of the time we were in the caravan. every time I looked for Nico he was always with Dr. Lashmar or in the woods. I hope he continues to show initiative, and look for other opportunities to help him learn medicine.

"Right, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I asked if you knew the way to the castle. The capital appears vast, and I don't want to get lost." Nancee said, once again gaining my attention.

"That I do remember. I only came here once before and a young boy, but I couldn't look away from the city. I'll take you the way my mother had us go," I said as a small smile appeared on my face from thoughts of my mother.

From thar moment onward, I was actively paying attention and checking in on my guards. I could tell that some of the stress they were feeling had gone away after the time we spent in the Caravan.

I continued to tell Nancee where to go and before long we appeared before the imperial castle.

The castle was vast, out-lined with polished bronze with spires as sharp as needles. It was made of smooth natural whitE marble bricks. Every so often there was splash of polished bronze, making the castle shine.

The palace yard was full of thriving and vibrant plants. They were all so meticulously placed, it almost seemed magical.

We continued further until we were told the carriage had to stay. Not one guard seemed suspicious of our presence and they let us walk I'm without a second glance.

It wasn't until we walked through the front door did people start noticing us. I took a look around and tried not to grimace. We looked ghastly. Torn and bloodied clothes. The only people who looked presentable were Emily and Elnora.

Ignoring everything, I walked up to a male attendant.

"I seek a private audience with King Caster. He is expecting us." I say, making sure to show my authority. Before the man can speak, I pull out the letter with my family's crest and my mothers dagger and give it to him.

"Give that to King Caster. He will know I speak the truth." I finish.

The man just stand there briefly shocked, then he bows and hurries away. I walk back to the group and we wait.

While we were waiting I felt someone staring at us and I saw someone out the corner of my eye. I turned my head quickly to see who it was, but they were gone. I stared in the direction I saw them go to see if I could spot them again, but it was useless. Whoever it was, they were long gone.

Shortly after that, there was a commotion coming from the same direction. Guest rushed out the way to make room for whoever was coming. Only one person could make people move this fast: King Caster.

"Get ready. The King is coming." I say. To which my group stands straighter and in a line.