Chapter 40

"So how was taking Jae's place in detention so he could get you the next item you need to save the world?" Charlie asked as Dani joined him outside the prefects' bathroom.

"Pitts was confused, but at least I made enough sandwiches for dinner," replied Dani. "So you said you saw a cauldron full of combs in here?"

They went inside, and Charlie made a beeline for one particular golden sink. "Aaaand... The cauldron has vanished!"

"Looking for something?"

Dani nearly jumped as Duncan walked right through a cubicle. "I heard your little conversation outside, Dani. I'm sure Pitts isn't any less grumpy than he was in my time-which, to be fair, wasn't that long ago, but still. What else have you done to save the world lately?"

"Begged her roommate to give up favourite jewelled necklace," Charlie said with a chuckle. "In front of all her housemates, might I add."

Duncan laughed out loud. "Shame we weren't anywhere near the final vault when Rakepick decided I was better off as Peeves personal assistant he didn't need. I mean, I honestly think I was worth slightly more than THAT. But because I hate da lady so much, I'll kiss a captivating school-wide prank farewell and tell you where the cauldron is..."
************************************
"Fred? George?"

"Never heard of them," said George as he and Fred stood side by side in front of a stone bench.

"And you two are..."

"I'm Gred, and he's Forge," said Fred with a mischievous grin.

Dani peeked behind them to see a cauldron filled to the brim with combs of all shapes and sizes sitting on the bench. "Nice try, boys."

"What has Mum taught you guys about stealing?!" Charlie reprimanded.

"It's not stealing if we plan to return them," argued George.

"That is, once we figure out how to enchant these combs to make all our schoolmates' hair look just like the flobberworm mucus Snape grows on his head," Fred explained.

"But I'm guessing you need one for the merqueen?" George asked sadly.

Dani nodded, and George pulled the fanciest comb he could find out of the cauldron. "Can you please not report us? We've been working really hard on this."

Charlie thought for a moment. "We'll think about it."

Charlie and Dani left the twins back to figuring out their enchantment. "I'll need to meet with prefects of other houses soon," said Charlie. "We need posters on the house notice board to warn the students about the enchanted combs. If they ignore it, well, that's THEIR problem."