Heart

Slade

I quickly shut off my phone as I rushed to the canal underneath the now-collapsed bridge. Someone just surfaced from the water. It was Ash! I rushed over faster than the others. I know her and I know she isn't the best swimmer. I heard people call out to me, but they couldn't recognize me. I wore a helmet that coveted my facial features to protect myself and I forgot to put on my nametag on my police uniform before leaving in the rush of this chaos. I'm practically invisible and unrecognizable to everyone around me. I'm not in this for the fame and glory. Right now I am swimming to Ash to help support her.

"Wait he's down there! We are in an air pocket and he opened the roof for it and all the water came down..." She was freezing and looked shaken up. I got her to shore first.

"I'll get him. Ash stay here." Her eyes widen.

"Slade?!"

"Yes, I'm in the police force remember!" I quickly went back to where Ash first submerged above water. I took a deep breath and dived down into the water. I found a rubble source near the surface of the water with an open gap. I swam down into it and had to squeeze my way through the hole and found myself in a dark small gap in the rubble. I could barely see anything. I swam around a bit and felt myself bump into something. It wasn't rubble. I grabbed them and helped them up to the surface and gasped for air. The superhero Flash lay unconscious next to me as I did my best to keep their head above water.

This is not good.

I got them to shore and laid them on their back. I checked their pulse quickly. Nothing. Without a second thought, I started doing cpr. Two closed hands on his chest and constant pressure and release on his heart. Is this really how this superhero's life ends? The only problem is that for me to do this properly I had to take off his mask and try to get any water out of his lungs. Cameras are everywhere and there is a reason why this superhero is hiding his identity,

"Hey! I need backup! Can you cover for me!" I need to try to get the water out of his lungs!" I called out to my fellow officers. They came to me. Some stayed to help Ash out. The officers thankfully knew what I was asking for. They surrounded both of us and had their backs turned to us so they can't see and no cameras can see us. I can't believe this is happening though. I get to see this superhero's identity. It's would feel more like a reward if I wasn't trying to save his life. I stopped and took off his mask...

Sabre. My best friend.

...

My heart sank with my mind became cloudy. I just went through the motions of mouth-to-mouth. Water filled up into my mouth and I spit it out. I did it a second time, I did it a third time. I then went back to cpr.

1 2 3...
1 2 3...
1 2 3...
1 2 3...
1 2 3...

Sabre started to cough and gasp for air. I quickly pulled myself away. He looks at me... He can't see my face, but I can see his. He looked scared of me. He looks around as if observing the area. He looks at me and desperately mouths.

Don't tell anyone. Please.

He doesn't know I recognize him, but with how he is still wearing his blindfold if anyone else saw him in public he would be recognized in a second. I nodded and handed him his mask back slowly. He puts it on and gets on his feet. So do I. I heard the Flash voice that almost made my heart leap out of my chest.

"Thank you for saving my life." He says. All the fellow officers stepped away and looked at the both of us.

"You helped save the life of that young woman and got almost everyone off the bridge before it collapsed. We were just returning the favor.