4

"Maddy! Got dinner from Bartoli's," Hailey called as she got into the apartment after a long day at work. "Maddy?" She asked again, looking into the bedroom to see Maddy curled up and sound asleep, "sweetie," she chuckled.

Hailey smiled and woke the teen up, both of them heading out to the kitchen to eat.

"Your teacher emailed me today," Hailey told her daughter as she grabbed cans of pop for both of them.

"What about?" Maddy asked, knowing exactly what it was about.

"You falling asleep in class,"

"Rough night,"

"I know. But honey, if you need to come home, you call me. If I can't come get you, I can see if Kev or Kim or Adam or even T can get you and drop you off at home," she said, setting a piece of pizza on her plate.

"Just still getting used to dad being gone. He should be here so,"

"I know. But he needed this so, we have to support him and know that he'll come home to us," Hailey said, watching Maddy nod at her words. "Don't be mad at him sweetie,"

"I'm not. I'm just - I miss him,"

"I do too,"

——————

The next day was Maddy's first volleyball game without Jay being there and she wasn't looking forward to it. She usually had her mom and dad and Tina and Tyler there but that was it. She sighed and checked the time on her phone before deciding to text Hailey and make sure she was coming.

She sent that off and changed into her uniform, somewhat ready to go out and get some anger taken out on the volleyball

"You ready to go?" Abby asked, tying her shoes before fixing the braid in her hair.

"I don't know. First game without my dad being here,"

"It'll still be good. Take your anger out on the ball," she suggested, getting a chuckle from her best friend. "Love you,"

"Love you too," Maddy smiled, hugging her best friend before they all headed out.

When Maddy looked up, it was her mom and Abby's parents, along with all of intelligence. Including Makayla, Trudy, and Mouch. Maddy smiled and ran up to give Hailey a quick hug as she usually did for good luck.

"Since your dad can't be here, I figured this was the next best thing," she smiled, handing over her phone.

"Hey MaddyBug," Jay said as he was on FaceTime through Hailey's phone.