14

Jay was staying home with Hailey and Maddy for 4 days before he would have to go back. He made sure to take Hailey out on a fancy date and planned one for him and Maddy as well.

She was doing some homework when he knocked on her bedroom door, getting her attention, "Hey Maddy,"

"Hey," She smiled, looking over at him before she turned back to her notebook.

"How much homework do you have?"

"Just 3 more questions of this and then i'm done. Why?"

"I was gonna take you out for dinner, just like mom and I did the other day," He shrugged.

"Okay," She smiled, "Where are we going?"

"What sounds good?"

"Anywhere honestly," She shrugged, finishing up her homework.

"Let's go somewhere nice then," He suggested, "Get ready,"

"Okay," She nodded, getting up and picking out a cute dress that she hadn't worn in years, curled her hair, and did her makeup.

Jay took her to a new expensive steak house and expected a good meal as well as one on one time with his daughter.

After they ordered, Jay reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box wrapped in a bow, and handed it over.

"What's this?"

"Open it and find out," Jay chuckled, pushing it toward her.

Maddy smiled and took it, carefully untying the bow. She opened the box and inside was a beautiful infinity sign necklace.

"I know you're struggling and I know this doesn't fix it, but it'll help. I also got these," he said as he pulled up the picture on his phone. It was 2 simple lamps, leaving Maddy confused and waiting for Jay to explain it.

"I'll have one and you will have one. Whenever you tap yours, mine will turn on. So if you need me, you tap it and I'll call you as soon as I get the chance to,"

"Thanks, dad," she beamed.

"I love you, Maddy,"

"I love you too," she nodded, getting up and hugging her dad tightly.

"4 more months baby bug. 4 more months,"

"I have a countdown set on my phone," she chuckled.

"Perfect," he smiled, both of them sitting back down to eat their meals.

They got home right around 8:30 and all 3 got ready for bed before sitting in the living room and watching a movie as a family.

——————

The next morning, Hailey called Maddy out of school and called herself out of work to enjoy a few uninterrupted days with Jay. He was set to leave the next day, only hours before Maddy would start school so Hailey just called her out for the next few days.

They ate breakfast together, all went out for lunch, went to do some shopping, and went to an arcade. Maddy had a ton of fun and smiled a lot more than she had been lately. Hailey saw that she was happy but also hesitating about certain things. She looked at Hailey a lot more than she had in the past which was odd for her. She'd always been close with both of her parents.