23

The next few weeks were pretty rough, to say the least. After Jay had told Maddy he wasn't coming home, the teen seemed to feel like her world fell apart. She didn't plan on an extra 6 months when her father had promised 8 months. She'd already sent him a billion videos of Molly so he could get to know the pup from afar.

Jay was supposed to be home that night but here they were, just watching a movie on the couch.

"You okay?" Hailey asked, sitting beside her with a bowl of popcorn.

"He was supposed to come home tonight," she sighed, hating that she was upset with her dad again.

"I know honey. It's a rough feeling. I was excited for him to come home too, but it's only 6 more months. We can handle that," she said as she pulled Molly onto the couch.

"He was supposed to come to my game tomorrow," she sighed, petting Molly's soft fur.

"I know," Hailey said, trying hard to keep the secret that Jay was home. Just in a hotel across town for the night.

Hailey hated watching Maddy cry herself to sleep but Hailey knew within 24 hours, she'd be crying tears of joy.

Hailey got her up as normal and did their entire morning routine before Hailey left for work and Maddy soon left for school. She wallowed through her day until she got to soccer, changed, and started warming up. She was hoping that she would forget everything that was going on, and take her anger out on the ball but knew it would be in the back of her mind.

Jay watched from an area he knew was a blind spot to Maddy, watching her for a minute before he leaned against the fence. He waited for the perfect moment, noticing that Maddy was getting frustrated almost 10 minutes later. He knew that was the perfect time to pop out and make his child cry.

"Hey, 18!" He yelled, getting his daughter's attention, "Don't let it get to you kid! Stay on it!"

Maddy turned her head to a voice she knew so incredibly well. With one look, she about melted into a puddle, before she ran across the field toward him and jumped the fence.

"Hi baby bug," he beamed, catching her easily as she jumped into his arms.

"I thought you weren't coming back yet," she sobbed, hugging him as tightly as she could.

"I'm here now. For good,"

"I love you, Dad,"

"I love you baby bug,"

Hailey got the entire thing on video, posting it to Facebook with the picture immediately.