Chapter 11

Over the next couple days Fengjiu let herself enjoy being engaged. Though Prince Ling was busy most of the days, because he was slowly getting more Emperor duties. He always made time to eat meals together and to cuddle with her at night. They hadn't had those lingering kisses that felt so good, because they were trying to wait for their wedding night.

Four days before the wedding she called for Yue Mi to come and visit. She waited outside in the garden excitedly. Yue Mi finally showed up and ran to her. "I missed you, Sister Fengjiu."

The maid that brought Yue Mi and scolded her. "My lady, remember Her Highness is not a commoner."

She shook her head at the maid and pulled Yue Mi to the table with cakes that she had made. "You can call me Sister Fengjiu," she claimed and then patted Yue Mi's little head. Yue Mi smiled happy and stuffed her mouth with cakes.

"I have a present for you,"  told Yue Mi, then she handed her a black box. Fengjiu hoped Yue Mi loved it, as she had worked hard to make it unique. Another thing she wasn't looking forward to was leaving her behind. In only a few hours this little girl had planted herself inside her heart.

Yue Mi looked surprised and then excited. She opened the box and saw a pearl necklace inside. She gasped, "It's so pretty, Sister Fengjiu."

Fengjiu used her magic to shape the pearl into a tear drop, she was showing her sadness at having to leave Yue Mi behind

Fengjiu used her magic to shape the pearl into a tear drop, she was showing her sadness at having to leave Yue Mi behind. She picked up the necklace and put it on Yue Mi. The pearl settled right at her heart. She had done that for a reason, because Yue Mi would always remain in her  heart. She forced herself not to cry. Yue Mi had made it easy with her sweet smile. She exclaimed, "I love it, Sister Fengjiu!"

"These are special pearls. Did you notice that they glow?" Fengjiu told her.

Yue Mi nodded and said, "I learned that you are a magic user. Does this come from where you are from Sister Fengjiu?"

Fengjiu smiled, this little girl was smart. She answered, "Yes, it does. Always wear it. This necklace will protect you and give you good luck."

Yue Mi nodded and said seriously, "I'll wear it always." Yue Mi touched the pearls lovingly.

Then the rest of the day they spent together and Fengjiu used magic to amuse the little girl. She grew flowers for her and called the animals to her. Yue Mi responded by narrowing her eyes. "So it was you who called the animals over last time." Fengjiu laughed and nodded.

Prince Ling finally got back home. He was tired, he had made sure to send out invitations for the wedding. Many would attend their wedding. He looked for Fengjiu immediately and found her in the garden using magic to amaze little Yue Mi. He walked up to them and asked teasingly, "What are you two up to?"

"I am playing with Sister Fengjiu," Yue Mi answered proudly. Prince Ling smiled at her innocence and watched them play for another hour.

Yue Mi's maid came back and told Yue Mi it was time to go home. She pouted but Fengjiu kissed her forehead and said she would call on her again. Yue Mi nodded and left with her maid.

Prince Ling pulled Fengjiu into his arms and whispered, "I am so glad you are good with children. I can't wait to see you with ours." He thought he saw Fengjiu's face turn sad for a moment but it was gone in a flash, so he assumed he imagined it.

She continued to be held by him, as they watched the stars for an hour, while she fed him the rest of the cakes by her hand. She laughed at how much he liked it.

After they got in bed Prince Ling claimed, "3 more days. Then we will be together forever."

Fengjiu cuddled him, wanting to keep this moment forever and never let go. She loved him so much.

The next morning they were woken up with the newly appointed Chief Advisor rushing inside their room. Prince Ling quickly yelled at him, "What gave you the right to run inside here? What is going on?" He covered Fengjiu with the blanket.

Chief Advisor shouted, "The Emperor is dead!" Prince Ling and Fengjiu felt their blood go cold at the news.

Fengjiu saw that Prince Ling had immediately shut down and had a blank expression. When they got up and went to the main palace, he was doing things with no expression on his face. She tried to speak for him, but his answers were one worded.

 She decided to take control and ordered an investigation as to why the Emperor was dead.

Later when Prince Ling was looking through new files given to him by advisors. Fengjiu saw a physician come in and he said, "The Emperor was poisoned. We don't who did it or why. We have taken all the personal maids and cooks to the prisons. They are going to be questioned till we find an answer."

Prince Ling for the first time since his father's death, seemed to wake up from his blank expression. He smashed his fists on his desk. "When I find out who killed him... I'll kill them myself, they will get no execution date or prison time!"

Fengjiu jumped at his anger. The physician had jumped too and he said, "Yes, Your Majesty. Long may you live." Then he quickly walked away quickly.

Fengjiu went over the Prince Ling and poured him some tea. She wished she could take away his pain. She changed the subject and said, "Your coronation is tomorrow. They wanted it today, but I pushed it for tomorrow. Is that alright?"

Prince Ling's face softened a bit. "That's alright. I have a lot to do tonight. Thank you for all your help."

"Alright. I'll leave you to it. I left some cakes in the kitchen for you," Fengjiu told him and then walked away. The day after tomorrow would have been their wedding, but she thought they should push it back so that Prince Ling can have proper time to mourn. She would mention this tomorrow.