A Devastating Loss

A/N: Going to be a few shorter chapters the next few days but I wanted the events to stand alone.

The group approached the hole in the wall, cautiously looking through. Y/N pulled his crossbow from his back and stepped through first.

He noticed the corpses on the bed. They weren't getting up.

"Looks clear" he called to the others as Kenny led them through

"Everyone keep a goddamn eye out" Kenny said as he emerged through the hole.

"This place seems pretty sealed off" Christa added before stopping as she looked at the bed.

Two corpses were laying on the bed, holding hands, a gun in one of their hands. Their blood and brains were splattered on the pillows.

"God..." Kenny said staring at the couple while Y/N looked around the room for what he could find. Lee stood next to Kenny and spoke:

"Smart. Think of all the people we've seen go... they got to do it their own way. Together"

Kenny snapped, turning to Lee aggressively:

"Don't you say that. You stick it out as long as you can. You do whatever you have to. I could've done more"

"Ken..." Y/N said sadly turning round to face his adoptive father.

"Let's keep moving. We gotta go" Carley said, Christa adding:

"Yeah. We've seen so many people... I don't know why these ones break my heart".

Kenny suddenly spoke up again:

"What's heartbreakin' is not givin' yourself a chance. It's what Katjaa did. She left me... my sons... The people that cared about us... I forgive her, but it don't make it any less wrong. You don't just end it cause it's hard. You stick it out, and you help the folks you care about. So let's figure a way outta here and get that little girl".

"Damn fuckin' right!" Y/N added as he walked to the open balcony door and spoke again:

"Hop, skip and a jump to River Street. We can cross the rooftops and not worry about the dead".

Y/N quickly exited, placing the crossbow on his back and climbing up on the balcony rail before jumping across the short distance to the rooftop next to them

The others followed, Lee going last and getting a supportive pull up from Kenny and Omid.

Y/N and Kenny walked next to each other, ahead of the others.

"It's good to be moving" Kenny said in a sad tone.

"You alright Ken?" Y/N asked concerned.

"I'm not, but I'm trying, son"

"Anythin' I can help with Ken?"

Kenny chuckled.

"Honestly just thinkin' back... You know how many nights Kat and I laid in that broke-down RV and she'd give me hell for not thinking enough about the rest the group? Except you of course. I was always thinkin' of you boy. But it was all of 'em. Every damn night"