Sewer Survivors and a Daring Plan

"Did he get away? Did he get away?"

Brendon screamed through tears to Molly as he desperately tried to hold Kenny back from behind. Kenny was an absolute mess as tears flooded down his cheeks.

Clementine sat on the fire escape, tears streaming down her face as she rocked, sure her best friend had just been torn to pieces.

"Shhh" Molly yelled as she strained and made out:

"-meet you there" over the growls and groans of the walkers that were crowding around the open manhole cover.

"He's alive. He's ok. I made out 'meet you there!' Where's there?"

"He's... he's alive? You're not bullshitting me?" Kenny gasped as the tension and fight drained from his body.

"The house. He must be talking about the house" Brendon added in relief as he released Kenny. Kenny instantly rushed over to Clementine and wrapped his arms around her.

"It's okay darlin'. It's okay. Y/N's gonna be ok. Let's get back to the others and wait for him".

Clementine hugged into Kenny and nodded, wiping her eyes on his jacket.

"It's easier by rooftop. Brendon you point us the right way and I'll help navigate you back" Molly smiled as she started to ascend the staircases of the fire escape up to the roof. Clementine followed behind her, then Brendon, who stopped in his tracks when he heard a gun cock. He turned around to see Kenny's gun pointed at his face.

"You pull some shit like that again Brendon, I'll empty my clip into your face" Kenny spat coldly through gritted teeth as Brendon's glare hardened.

"You think it was easy for me? I care about him too. But getting yourself killed wouldn't have helped. If the walkers had got Y/N you think he would have wanted that for you too?"

Kenny's eyes narrowed and he lowered his gun, the four continuing on their rooftop retreat.

—~—

Y/N desperately attempted to descend the ladder as the walkers growled and reached in desperation to tear him to pieces. He looked up just in time to see one falling towards him that he was just able to narrowly avoid. As he got to the base of the sewer another fell. And another. They made a sickening splat as they hit the hard brick and concrete floor. Y/N looked down at their oozing brains and viscera disgusted before looking up to the barely visible street and yelling as loud as he could.

"Kenny! Clementine! Can you hear me? If you can hear me, just get back to the house, okay? I'll meet you there!"

Another walker fell and exploded upon impact as Y/N stepped back from the ladder further, muttering to himself:

"Shit. No going back that way!"

He pulled his crossbow from over his shoulder and walked forward through the sewers of Savannah, desperate to find a way back topside.

After a quarter mile he came across a dead end, but a large sloping tunnel ran down 45° to a lower level. Runoff water flowed down and Y/N was extremely careful not to walk down the centre where it made the brick lining slimy and slippery.

Instead, Y/N backed as close to the domed walls as possible, safely making it down to another access path.

As he walked along he looked down and saw half eaten sewer rats, sighing to himself:

"Of course there's fucking walkers down here"

He continued along quietly, down a path, the only noise coming from the waterway to his right and a faint echo of growls. As he turned a corner he came across three walkers, consuming something. The path was too narrow to get around, so he aimed his crossbow.