𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞-𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
THE NIGHTMARE BEGINS ( ii. )

Following Sir Leon down the corridors towards Arthur's room, Calliope chews on the inside of her cheek, unable to stop thinking about her conversation with Quinn

Following Sir Leon down the corridors towards Arthur's room, Calliope chews on the inside of her cheek, unable to stop thinking about her conversation with Quinn. How many people actually suspect that something is going on with her and Arthur, and how many of them are people that could keep something so dangerous to themselves? They can't be that obvious. Can they?

Calliope stands next to Leon as he raises his fist to knock on the Prince's door, but a head of honey-blond hair appears on the other end of the hallway, and Leon brings his hand down to his side. The assassin puts on a face she had practice thousands of times. A mask she thought she didn't have to wear so often anymore, but maybe she has let her guard down too far.

Prince Arthur gives both of them a greeting nod, eyes lingering on Calliope for a second too long, before motioning for them to come into his room.

The knight hands Arthur the rolled piece of parchment they were sent to deliver, and Arthur unfolds it as they step into his room. Calliope notices Merlin standing over the table polishing chainmail.

"Are you sure this is all of them?"

"Names and last known dwelling places," Leon answers.

Arthur's eyes scan over all the names, "My father suspects the fire was started by sorcery."

"Indeed, Sire. Cal and I included the details of everyone we suspect of consorting with sorcerers, witches, or Druids."

A flash of approval covers his face as he sets the paper down on the table, "Gather the men. We'll arrest them immediately."

The Prince's eyes catch hers one last time. She can't even look at him without being reminded of their heated kiss even when she lost their stupid bet, and he's being so goddamn irritating. So irritating that she could slap him— or kiss him again.

Inhaling sharply, she looks away from his eyes, and hurries after Leon in the hallway. As she catches up to the knight, she shakes her head.

"Leon, can I ask you something?"

He glances down at the blonde as they pass a few servants in the corridor, "What's on your mind?"

"It's Arthur—well—me and Arthur. Are we...would you say it's obvious?"

Leon halts, turning to her with his eyebrows raised, "Obvious? You mean the other night in the tavern when the two of you were practically undressing each other with your eyes?"

She shoves him, "That was different. We were drunk. I mean, when we are around the castle, do you think a lot of people notice—do the other knights know?"

"I'm the only one that knows for sure, and I would never reveal your secret, Cal."

"I know that, but I'm just worried about the King," she says in a quieter voice. "If he finds out, I could be banished or worse, and Arthur would be forced to marry Victoria immediately."