Infliction | fifteen

(not proofread))

Gabi eyed Sierra up and down cautiously, observing. She wore a salmon-colored pants suit with a pair of heels, there was also an ID badge clipped to her with a picture, her name, and profession.

Sierra Deaton
Child social worker

Was that even a real profession?

"So what did you want to talk about?" She questioned.

"Well," Sierra smiled ever so lightly, "I would like to talk about your home situation if that's okay."

"My home situation?"

"Yes. There's been a few people that have some concerns and would like me to talk to you about your home situation if that's okay."

"You mean Luke?" Gabi questioned again, arching her eyebrows.

"He was one of them, yes. There were a few others who have been wondering as well, we all just want to make sure you're in a healthy and safe environment."

Gabi stayed quiet yet again to take in everything. She wondered how disappointed her parents would be
if they knew she was talking to these people, they would have tried to kill her if she dared spewed the truth to anyone.

"Well, I am safe and healthy... I mean besides being shot. My parents are good people, they wouldn't just hurt me on purpose."

"Well, have you ever done something and they maybe hurt you for it? Calling it a punishment or discipline?"

Gabi's face paled. She did not deserve to be called out like this, especially from some person that she didn't even know. Sierra had no idea what went on in her home life to be questioning her like this, sure, her parents did 'discipline' her a lot, probably more than what was normal but it wasn't Sierra's place to ask that.

"They love me," Gabi answered stubbornly. "I already said they wouldn't hurt me on purpose. I mean they were the ones who brought me into this world."

"Sweetheart, I'm not doubting that your parents don't love you, I bet they do so much. However, they could still say they love you and also harm you on purpose, it's called abuse, honey."

Gabi rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She knew what abuse was, and her parents weren't it.

"How do you know Luke?" Gabi asked instead, deflecting the question about her parents. If Sierra could ask intrusive questions and allegations that weren't true, then why couldn't she do the same?

"Luke? Oh, um, he is my husband."

"Oh."

"Gabi," Sierra sighed. "Listen, because of these suspicions of abuse with the gunshot, dozens of old bruises on you, and combined with some things your father was heard saying; we had to make a call to Child Protective Services."

"Get out"

"Gabi, we all just want to help."

"Get out! I said Get out!" She was starting to breathe heavier and the monitor began to beep rapidly from an increase in heart rate.

Almost immediately Luke rushed into the room after hearing from the monitors that her heart rate had increased. "Hey, hey, what's going in here?"

"Get your wife out of here!"

"Let's relax please, Gabi, then we can talk all this over. Your heart rate is too high for my liking right now."

"No. You and her are making up things that aren't true! My parents wouldn't want to hurt me on purpose, never. They say it's all out of love."

"That's manipulation, darling. What they are doing isn't okay," Luke answered and squeezed her hand, hoping it'll help her relax.

Instead, quite the opposite happened and she turned her back toward them. "I want to be alone."

"Okay, we can give you that as long as you'll relax for me and get that heat rate down."

Gabi nodded, so Luke took it as his cue to leave and ushered Sierra out with him.

Now he was starting to get nervous about Gabi having to talk with CPS, there was still the chance that Gabi could still tell them that everything was fine despite there being physical evidence, and CPS may still believe everything was fine in the home and dismiss the case.

She could be released back to her parents, and Luke was fearful for her if they were to happen.