Infliction | thirty-one

(people will hate me/be upset with this chapter, but I promise it goes with the storyline. also, i am not a lawyer/judge, therefore i apologize for inaccuracies, but again this is purely fictional.)
(not proofread)

..

*one week later*

It has officially been a week, technically 9 days, since Luke's near-fatal accident and he still remained in a coma.

Yet, today was a terrifying one for Gabi.

Today was the day of her parents' court trial.

Their plans for the trial have now completely changed course given that Luke would no longer be able to testify against Gabi's parents. His medical reports would still be taken into account, but ultimately it was up to the judge and jury to decide the fate of Mr. and Mrs. Baker.

"Hi, honey." Sierra smiled once she strolled into the kitchen that morning.

"Morning," Gabi smiled back and continued to push her now soggy fruit loops around in the bowl.

"Nervous," Sierra questioned and leaned in to hug Gabi. "It's okay to be nervous, you have every right to be."

"I'm just worried about the outcome. I don't want to go back to live with them, I can't." Gabi shook her head not wanting to get too upset by thinking of what could happen. "And now that Luke won't be there scares me even more."

"I'm sure it does, it scares me too, hun. I've been in quite a few court cases for different clients throughout my years of working, but this is so much different."

"How did you and Luke meet?" Gabi asked instead to attempt to ease her mind and tension about what would take place in a few short hours.

"We met 5 years ago when I transferred over here to work at the hospital since they needed a second child social worker. Luke had just finished his residency at the hospital."

"Do you guys work together a lot?"

"Yes, he sees a lot of pediatric cases similar to yours and tons of trauma patients since he is a surgeon trained with that. Our first patient was one just exactly like you. Luke has a tendency to get attached to his patients and the outcome for this patient didn't end like he was expecting."

Gabi stayed silent processing the new information about Luke and Sierra. She knew that she had given Luke quite a rough time when they first met, but she truly was grateful for him being so persistent the way he did.

He saved her from her parents. Saved her life.

"Can we go visit him afterward?"

"Of course, we can," Sierra answered with a smile. "You don't even have to ask, hun."

..

On the inside; Gabi was freaking out. She was downright terrified.

They had made it through security for the courthouse and had just entered the courtroom. She could see her parents and their attorney on the other side of the courtroom. Both her parents sent glares in their direction.

"Don't pay any mind to them, okay?" Sierra squeezed her hand. "Just focus on me or the judge."

Gabi nodded and followed Sierra over to their table on the side of the courtroom where they met up with their attorney.

Originally Luke had taken it upon himself to be the representation for Gabi on top of giving his statement regarding Gabi's medical reports when she first came into the hospital.

However, that plan also changed drastically when Luke had his accident and then fell into a coma. Therefore, Sierra had taken it upon herself to hire an attorney just to be on the safe side.

They all stood up for the judge to walk in and then were sworn in, and allowed to sit back down.

"Are we missing anyone?" The judge asked just before they were set to begin.

"Yes," the Baker's attorney spoke. "It says that a Dr. Hemmings should be here."

"Is Dr. Hemmings here today?"

"Your honor," Sierra cleared her throat and stood up. "Dr. Hemmings is my husband. He is currently in a coma due to an unrelated incident."

"Very well," the judge nodded. "I apologize about your husband Miss. Deaton, but we will have to continue without him."

Gabi could've sworn that she saw her father smirking at the mention of Luke being in a coma, but maybe it was just her nerves and eyes playing tricks on her. She didn't get much sleep last night either, her mind racing about the court case.

She just needed to relax and focus and listen to Sierra's advice.

..

After a long grueling two-hour trial and an extra hour for the jury to deliberate, they had finally reached a verdict.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" The judge asked and looked over to the jurors.

"Yes, your honor. We have."

"And?"

"Based on the evidence and the medical reports... We the jury find the defendants Tom and Nancy Baker guilty of the suspicion of child abuse."

Gabi breathed a huge sigh of relief and leaned against Sierra, her eyes clouding with tears of overwhelming emotion.

She was free.

Or so she thought until the judge spoke again.

"I know that the defendants have now been found guilty of abuse, however, I would like to implement weekly supervised visits on Saturdays for two hours with Gabriella and her parents. The visits will be held at the Los Angeles Police station."

Gabi looked up at Sierra who appeared to be just as shocked as her. This was supposed to be a fresh start, a new chapter.

But now her reality turned into a nightmare.

She truly wasn't free after all.