Infliction | thirty

(Disclaimer: yet again I am not
a medical professional so I apologize if things are incorrect. this is purely fictional)
(not proofread.)

..

It has been two days since Luke's accident happened, and Gabi had spent the majority of her time planted right next to his bedside while she did her schoolwork. She had expected Sierra to be here as well, but perhaps it was too much for her or she couldn't necessarily get the appropriate time off work.

That did not, however, mean that she wasn't there with him when she could be. She would pop in between meetings and patients and would spend her lunch break in here, just holding Luke's hand and talking to him. She surprisingly didn't stay long or would usually leave the room with her eyes clouding up with tears. Gabi had expected that however, this was her husband, the love of her life.

She had also learned of the rest of Luke's injuries on top of the coma, from Michael, Calum, Ashton, and Sierra.

He was intubated because of the coma and had also received emergency surgery for a subdural hematoma of his brain, which she learned from Ashton was bleeding in the brain when he was first brought into the hospital. On top of that, the doctors were suspecting some type of spinal injury, which was hard to determine the severity of it due to the coma.

Ashton had also briefly mentioned that the longer Luke stayed in the coma, the longer his recovery time would be; if any at that. He explained that the young surgeon would more than likely have to go through rehabilitation and therapies.

They were all just hoping he would make it out of there. To even wake up for that matter.

Another thing was the police had yet to have any leads on who the perpetrator was in this situation. Granted, it had only been two days since the incident occurred, yet still nothing.

Surely it had to have been difficult to solve when there were no other witnesses that saw what happened. The only person who knew was the victim, that being Luke, who was in a coma and wouldn't be able to share the details of that disastrous night.

"Knock knock," Michael smiled as he entered Luke's room in the intensive care unit, after knocking of course.

Gabi looked up from her laptop and waved. "Hi."

"I just wanted to come to check on you. Make sure you're doing okay and if you want lunch or something."

"Oh.. um, no thank you I'm good."

"Gabi," Michael smiled again and stepped closer into the room. "You've got to be hungry, hun. Sierra mentioned you barely ate any breakfast."

"I had some bacon and pineapple."

"Well, as a doctor, I can only say that it's not a properly balanced and nutritious meal."

"You're an anesthesiologist, Michael." She smiled.

"That's still technically a doctor."

"Well then, bacon and pineapple are still technically food and therefore considered a meal."

"I would prefer it and Sierra would too if you came down to the cafeteria with me to eat something a little more substantial."

Gabi hesitated and shifted her eyes over to Luke. Ever since the accident only a few short days ago, Gabi is skeptical every time she has to leave Luke. She worries that something will happen once she has to leave Luke by himself.

"I can't leave, Michael. I have to stay here and tell the nurses if something happens to him."

"Sweetheart." He knelt to be level with Gabi from where she sat in the chair next to Luke's bed. "That's exactly what all these monitors and machines are for. They tell the nurses if his heart rate is too low or high, the same with his blood pressure and oxygen. He's in the ICU, hun. Everyone knows what they're doing here and he's getting the best care he possibly could while his body recovers."

"What if he never recovers, Mike?" Gabi questioned, her voice choking up at the thought of Luke never being with them anymore. She hasn't known him all that long, but he did after all save her from her parents. She doesn't know what she'd do if Luke didn't wake from this coma.

"Gabi," Michaal sighed and grabbed her hands. "We can't think that way. I know it's gonna be hard as hell, but we need to be optimistic that he's going to pull out of this. He has to."

'You're sure nothing will happen to him while we're gone?"

"I don't believe for a second that anything will happen to him while we're gone. I do however believe that he will wake up, I'm not sure exactly when but I know Luke and he won't just give up."

"Okay, I'm trusting you then."

"Good." Michael smiled and stood up. "With that being said, you and I both know that he also would much prefer if you had something to eat and would probably like it if you got out of this stuffy room"

Gabi nodded and closed her laptop to put it away. After all, she was starting to feel a little hungry. Michael was right, she shouldn't be thinking this way. From now on she was going to try and be more optimistic about Luke coming out of all this alive.

He just has to pull through.

He has to.