Infliction | twenty-seven

(before you read:
one thing to note is that this chapter takes place one hour before the previous chapter.)
(not proofread)

*one hour earlier*

"Hey, have a good night, Cal," Luke smiled as he passed his friend in the hallways of the hospital, finally on his way to clocking out. He couldn't wait to get home to his girls.

"Hey, man." The older doctor smiled. "You're still here? I thought you went home hours ago."

"Nope got paged to a trauma last minute when I was leaving with Gabi. Been in surgery ever since."

"Damn. I hope everything went well," Calum smiled.

"It did, yeah. Thank you."

"Are you still working?"

"Nah, I'm going home."

"Awee what? You're leaving already? We just started talking." The pediatrician pouted.

"Yeah, I've been here since 6 am. I'm fucking tired, man. Plus the girls are making lasagna for dinner tonight," Luke laughed.

"Well, in that case, have a good night then," he leaned over to hug Luke. "You on shift this weekend?"

"Nah, I somehow got the weekend off so I won't be here until Monday. Still technically on call though."

"You lucky bastard."

Luke chuckled and swiped his badge to enter the attending lounge. "Goodnight, Cal." He gathered his bag and grabbed the travel mug of his coffee from earlier, the contents inside now cold.

He couldn't wait to finally go home and just decompress from the day, to relax with his girls Gabi, Sierra, and Petunia.

Since he has the weekend off, and Sierra coincidentally had Saturday off, they both decided that they were going to take Gabi out that day to do whatever she pleased.

Whether that was to the movie theater, the beach, or whatever she chose to do, they were both just happy to be able to spend time together. Luke had been working relentlessly due to staffing issues at the hospital lately and barely had time to even breathe, let alone spend time with Gabi and Sierra.

Although Gabi now spent most of her days in his office doing her schoolwork, that still just didn't feel the same to him.

Sierra had messaged him whilst he was in surgery, which he didn't see until just now, stating that she had picked up Gabi and they'd be heading home to make dinner. It had been a bit since they had one altogether due to scheduling conflicts, so this was another thing he was looking forward to.

He walked out of the attending's lounge and headed to the staff parking garage, waving goodbye to Calum one last time. He also looked for Michael and Ashton but didn't see them, so he realized they probably were in surgery or busy with patients.

With that, he began the approximately 30-minute drive back to his house. It was just a little after 6 pm and Luke was finally on his way home after his 12-hour shift, which felt more to him like a 16-hour shift since he wasn't supposed to stay that long in the first place.

Yet, he didn't mind staying and helping out in the hospital. It was what he signed up to do when he became a doctor. The good part is that he was finally on his way back home to Sierra, Gabi, and of course, Petunia.

He was 19 minutes into the drive back home when he noticed something off about the car behind him. They kept speeding up to him, almost hitting him a few times, but at the last minute, they'd hit their brakes. It also appeared that they had been following him since he had left the hospital, but he shook it off as just being overworked and tired.