Infliction | twenty-three

(not proofread)

*The following day*

Gabi was not impressed to be up this early. She had quite gotten used to being able to sleep in and not be bombarded by her parents storming into her bedroom, shouting to wake her up. Sometimes with an ice-cold bucket of water.

Granted, Luke and Sierra never did that and did not show any implication of doing it soon, yet it was still something haunting to her and left her on guard.

She groaned and stretched a little bit then got out of bed, immediately noticing the slight stain of blood on her white sheets.

Just fucking great.

Of course, of all the days, her period had to come now. The day she would be returning to school after the events that had transpired.

Now how was she going to ask Luke and Sierra for pads? Wasn't that kind of an awkward subject to ask of your new foster parents?

Surely she's been living with them for nearly two weeks, but it was still a weird question to blurt out to them.

However, before she could think any further about this situation, there was a soft knock just outside her door. "Gabi?" Are you awake yet, darling?"

It was Sierra.

Thank god.

She quickly threw her blanket to hide the bedsheets and then opened the door, luckily she was wearing dark pajama bottoms.

"Hey hun, just wanted to let you know that Luke and I made breakfast."

"Oh, um, thank you," Gabi looked down.

"Is everything okay?"

"Do you... um.. do you have any pads?" She mumbled, her face heating up from embarrassment, quickly looking down not due to not wanting to make eye contact with her.

"Oh, you mean like pads for your period, hun?"

"Yeah," Gabi's face blushed again. This time she turned away from Sierra. "I'm sorry to have to bother you with this."

"No, honestly I don't mind at all, it's a normal thing, Gabi." She walked over and gently wrapped her arms around Gabi. "Whatever you need, we'll get it and we're here for okay?"

Gabi nodded and pressed her hands to her eyes to stop herself from crying. She could already tell that it was going to be a long, tiring, and emotional day.

"We have some pads I can give you for now," Sierra continued, rubbing Gabi's back. "If they're not the right ones you use just let us know and we can go buy different ones for you."

"Thank you, Sierra."

"You're welcome. Now I suspect your sheets probably need washing too right?"

"Yeah, sorry I didn't think I was going to get it. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, sweetie. It happens sometimes, nothing to be embarrassed about," she smiled and wiped Gabi's stray tears that managed to escape. "There are some pads under the bathroom sink in a basket, sweetie. Why don't you go change and I'll take care of your sheets?"

"Okay, thank you again and I'm sorry." Gabi pulled away from the hug and left the room with her clothes in hand, heading to the bathroom to take care of her business.

Although she has been in the care of Sierra and Luke for pretty close to two weeks, she was still shocked at how calm Sierra was being about this situation. She even offered to wash her sheets for her.

That would've never happened with Gabi living at her parent's house. She would've more than likely been hit if that happened, matter as a of fact she was for bleeding on her bedsheets once when she lived with her parents.

Once she had finished and exited the bathroom, she noticed that Sierra was no longer in her room but the bed was made up with new sheets. She must've been downstairs.

"Good morning," Luke smiled once Gabi made it to the kitchen. He was already dressed in his scrubs for his shift at the hospital. "We made breakfast if you'd like some and I would prefer it if you'd at least eat something."

"Oh yeah sure, those pancakes look good anyways." Gabi grabbed a plate and put a pancake on it, along with some fruit. She was still working on steadily increasing her appetite and food intake, it was a slow and difficult process but she was getting there.

Plus she was extremely nervous about the first day back to school.

"You're working a later shift today right, babe?" Luke asked Sierra.

"Yes, but I should be home before dinner time to get it started and I can probably rearrange some time to be able to pick Gabi up."

"Perfect," Luke smiled and stood up, grabbing his travel mug of coffee. He kissed Sierra on the lips, then hugged Gabi goodbye. "I'll see you lovely ladies later for dinner. Bye Petunia." He petted the dog goodbye and then left out the door.

"So," Sierra smiled. "As soon as you're ready we can get you to school, hun. And don't worry, I didn't tell him anything about this morning."

Gabi nodded and continued her breakfast. "Thanks."

She just hoped that today went smoothly and nothing was too awkward now that everyone at school heard of what happened to her.