Chapter Three : Too Perky

MADDIE P.O.V.

"Maddie?" I hear someone ask.

"Hello?" I shout.

I look around at my surroundings and see nothing but black. Where am I?

"It's okay Maddie, you don't have to be afraid." The voice says.

"Who are you?" I ask backing up into the unknown.

"My name is Charity." She says.

"Why are you in my head?" I ask.

"I've always been in you head." She replies.

"So you're like my subconscious?" I ask.

"Something like that." She smirks.

"So why are you here?"

"Maddie, I know you are afraid to get attached to people because you're afraid that they will just hurt you in the end but you can trust this family. They wont hurt you like all the others. You also need to let people in so they can help you; you need to have faith in people."

*****

I wake up in the bed sweating. So, that was a dream...But it seemed so real.

"Maddie? Are you okay in there?" I hear Xavier yells through the door.

"Yeah I'm fine, I just fell asleep." I say sitting up in the bed.

"Can I come in?" He asks peeking his head through the door.

"Yeah." I yawn.

"How are you feeling?" He asks siting on the edge of the bed.

"Okay, I'm just worried about things." I reply cryptically.

"Like what?" He asks.

I chuckle and shake my head. It's been forever since I last laughed, even a little. It feel's good to be able to trust someone; to be able to tell someone things that I never thought I would be able to tell anyone.

"Mom and dad would like to talk with us both down in the living room when you're ready to come down." He says sweetly.

I take a deep breath in and stand up. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

Xavier and I walk down the steps and into the living room. I see Mr. and Mrs. Jackson sitting on the couch and I take another deep breath.

"Maddie, would you like anything?" Mrs. Jackson asks.

"No thank you." I reply politely.

"We called you down to ask if you would like to start school on Monday." Mr. Jackson says.

"I think that would be in my best interest. I mean with most my homes I didn't really attend school." I say.

"Okay, would you like to go shopping tomorrow for some new clothes?" Mrs. Jackson asks with a smile on her face.

Shopping means trying things on and trying things one means showing my scars and I don't know if I'm quite ready for that.

"I think I'll be okay for a while but thank you Mrs. Jackson." I reply.

"Oh honey, please call me Jessie and my husband Dave." She smiles.

"Okay, will do."

"She could call you mom and dad." Xavier says.

"Only if she wants to. We don't want to rush into things." Jessie says with another smile on her face.

These people are too perky.

"Mom, I'm having a few people over this weekend if you don't mind." Xavier says as he gets up.

"When will they be here?" Jessie asks. As if on cue the door bell rings and Xavier starts walking.

"Now." He mumbles.

"Good grief Xavier! Maddie just got here a few hours ago and you're not even going to keep her company?" Dave says.

"I'll be fine. I'm use to being alone." I say as I start to walk away.

"That's why they are here dad, they want to meet Maddie." Xavier says opening the door.

With those words I rush up the stairs as fast as I can and go right to the room that I now call my own.

Please don't come in here, please don't come in here.

I hear a knock on the door and watch as about seven people enter my room.

"Maddie, you can't avoid meeting new people." Xavier says.

"I can try." I mumble under my breath.

"Whatever. These are my friends. Jacob, Lucas, Noah, Erin, Lacey and Layla." Xavier says pointing to each person as he goes along.
"Oh my gosh!" Erin squeals. "We are going to be the best of friends."

Yep, these people are way too perky for my liking.

"Are you always that peppy?" I ask skeptically.

"Pretty much." Jacob says keeping his hands in his pockets.

"Is there anything you would like to do?" Xavier asks me.

"Nope, I honestly just want to sleep." I say.

"Speaking of sleep, where's Jake?" Lacey asks.

"He had some buisness to attend to he said he'd be over later." Noah says.

"Okay, for now who wants to go play video games?" Lucas asks.

I roll my eyes and watch as the groups leaves my room and I feel lonely once again. I tell myself not to take it personally but there's a part of me that wanted them to stay. Although I would never admit that to anyone.

I crawl back up onto the bed and place my head on the pillows. I slowly drift off to sleep and feel as if nothing could ever go wrong when I know that everything could go wrong in the matter of seconds.