Chapter 19: Lost

While running, I remembered Meadow. I knew that I had already gone through these places. I was pretty close to my town; maybe I would even see my mother.

Something warm seized my chest, similar to what I felt for Rosy and very different at the same time. I would see my mother. How was she? Was she still living there? That made me a little scared. The feeling of loneliness trembled inside me, reminding me that it was there and there would always be.

Meadow ran by my side that time. During the night, we spoke. She approached me a lot. I had touched her cheek with mine and had purred. How did I not remember that? My conscience bothered me. How would I explain that to Rosy? I regretted it. I was the last straw. I was probably going to be left alone. I was crazy about Rosy, but I wasn't going to return to her. I didn't deserve her forgiveness.

"Before you go, I want to join you."

I stopped when I remembered Meadow's words.

I was close to a cliff—a very high fall. I approached to see, trying to remember what had happened after she said that, but for some reason, I couldn't. I put my hands on my head with frustration because it began to hurt a little.

"I'd like that." My own words resonated.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. So maybe I was already married, but somehow, I didn't have the ring the elders gave us. Suddenly, I detected an aroma, one that I already knew. My heart accelerated, and rage began to run through my blood.

I turned, and there he was—the man with black eyes with three of my species under his control.

I started growling immediately.

"How have you found me if I no longer have a chip?!"

He smiled with mockery.

"That's what you think... Although it was not necessary either, my boys already know your aroma. It was not difficult to assume where you were going to go either. You already know this place."

"Of course. I passed by before! Why do you know it too?!"

"I'll help you by refreshing your memory."

The three evolved men advanced toward me, and I growled again, getting ready to fight if necessary.

"Stay away!" I warned.

"An evolved couple ran, believing they were already out of danger," the man began to say. "They didn't know we were close."

My head hurt, making me give a short shout and press it. I tried not to stop growling. Those of my species had stopped but had me surrounded. The memory came to my mind causing another pain, this time prolonged.

Meadow smiled after my response rose and put her forehead to mine. I liked having her close; it made me feel good. However, that aroma came, and I became alert, getting myself in front of her as a protective shield and starting to growl.

I had already learned his name. There was Hector, with three evolved men with rugged looks and two more humans.

"You can't go. Our studies haven't finished," he said.

I growled stronger.

"About that rare and defective girl," another added. "If you tell us why she looks human, we will let you go."

I looked sideways at Meadow, and she denied it. She didn't want me to tell them, and I knew why. If they knew about our stage of vulnerability, it could make things worse.