Chapter 30: Maybe one last time

Rosy's POV

"Thank you." The Alpha and Centauri brothers had left Acrux asleep on the sofa in the room where I was staying.

They left after saying goodbye with a slight nod. I sighed and stared at my golden cat.

I had gone to look for him at that place because Max had called insisting that I take him, that he was wholly lost and asking for me. He tried to escape, but the brothers stopped him.

Knowing that moved me. When I arrived, he clung to me as soon as he saw me, making me realize that he had suffered a lot, and he started to tell me so many things. He even tried to kiss me. But it didn't seem right to me, even though I also longed for his strong hugs and words. He had wanted to stay with Meadow, and the trouble he was getting into every day was because of that girl.

If he loved her so much, why had he told me that? Maybe he was trying to convince himself that complying with her was the right thing to do. If what he felt for me wasn't stronger than that, there was no point in seeing him.

It was very late, so I decided to sleep, hoping that when I woke up, he would be gone. I went to the bed that was one step away and tried to rest, without taking my eyes off him, until finally fatigue won.

****

I woke up hearing the running water. I blinked heavily and looked at the time on my mobile, scared to see that it was one in the afternoon.

"Oh, holy mother!"

I stretched out my arms and reacted. Of course, it was late because I slept at four in the morning.

Acrux...

I looked at the sofa, but he was not there. I was sad he was gone, even though I had wanted to wake up alone.

Oh, wait. The water. The shower...

I looked to the bathroom, but it was silent. Had I hallucinated? I took a deep breath. He had given me so many kisses last night. He held me so tightly, asking me not to leave. He begged for it. It overwhelmed me so much to see him like this. I didn't want him to suffer. I didn't understand what was happening. I really believed he had forgotten what he felt for me when Meadow appeared.

The bathroom door opened, and he came out dressed and ready to go. It made me feel sick. He was leaving. It was the last time I saw him, but I wouldn't let myself fall again. I tried to appear neutral to make him know I wasn't affected.

"Good morning," he greeted neutrally as well.

It took me a couple of seconds to manage to articulate a word.

"Good morning... Are you leaving now?"

"Is it uncomfortable if I stay? Do you want me to go?"

What a silly question. Of course not.

"Yes. I have a lot to do."

He seemed to frown for a fleeting second.

"Then I won't waste your time. Forgive me. I barely remember I was asking to see you, but not how I ended up here. I thought..." He looked at me out of the corner of his eye. "I thought you'd already left."

"Tomorrow." I looked down.

"I see."

He put his hand on the door handle, and I braced myself to see him go, but he didn't.

"Sorry..." He turned, and I looked at him, confused. "I don't know how to get back," he said with evident embarrassment. "And... my head hurts. I really think it's because of that evil liquid..."