Chapter 24: The dream that does not last

A warm dawn woke me from sleep. According to the phone, more storms and more heat were coming. I saw the time, and I was scared. Ten o clock! Did nobody deign to wake me up? Maybe I should have set the alarm.

Noises coming from outside made me turn around. I got up heavily and went to look out the window. I smiled and leaned on the sill when I saw my Acrux practicing fighting with the brothers while Max watched.

The lodging where we were was near the outskirts of the city. It was old-two stories with a central garden. The windows of the rooms faced there, making me notice that I was not the only one enjoying the view. A couple of girls were watching them too. I wrinkled my nose. Ugh, it couldn't be. In their faces and looks of hormonal satisfaction, I could almost read what they were saying between their laughs. They noticed they were sexy, evolved men. Of course...

"Acrux!" I called him in a sweet voice.

He looked at me, and I waved my hand in greeting. He did the same with his slight smile, so I blew him a kiss, and he was stunned with his hand still up. I let out my innocent giggle, but Max waved me off. I made a face at him. They continued with their thing, and I was pleased by the change of expressions in the other two girls, and although they were still there watching, I didn't care anymore.

I remembered how last night, before going to sleep, he came to my room to ensure I was really okay. He had checked the cut on my hand, sitting so close to me. I squirmed inside for stealing him a kiss. It wasn't fair. I saw him look at my lips fleetingly. He sighed and stood up to leave. I had steeled myself, but he went fast. I stood there, my forehead against the door, wondering why I didn't kiss him. My opportunity had been lost. Why hadn't I been able to take his face or pull his shirt to eat those lips? It was a simple thing to do.

I growled.

Now it was about time to get ready before Max started calling me a groundhog.

***

We stopped near Areq city, in a small EH town. I went down and looked around-a few houses between trees and a couple of chickens walking around.

"What are we doing here?"

"Lunch, obviously," Max replied. "It's almost three in the afternoon, and a person woke up around ten..."

I was ashamed. I wanted to say something in my defense but was intrigued to see Alpha and Centauri approach two evolved with eyes of a strange orange color. Acrux also seemed surprised.

"They are Impala and Saturn," Alpha introduced them after approaching.

I arched an eyebrow, trying not to laugh at their names. Saturn was a little taller than the other, with slightly longer hair that covered his ears, while the other had it short. They were obviously brothers, but at least these could be better differentiated.

"Do I know them?" Acrux questioned, perhaps more to himself.

"I've already been told you lost your memories again," said Impala. "The five of us have special chips implanted in our heads. A conventional scanner doesn't detect them, but they told me that you managed to see yours with another machine. The point is not to remove it but to deactivate it so that those humans can never get hold of us or annoy us again."

"They told us you knew how," added the other.

"That's right," Max said, crossing his arms. "My brother has found the fort where they could be disabled. Obviously, neither people from National Security nor the government know that we know. Also, nobody knows you are with us. They are looking for you. It's all because of those chips. Apparently, they need them, and I don't know if to make more chips or to cover their tracks since many are being wanted for abuse and mistreatment."