Chapter 27: To give up on him

Rosy's POV

I cried bitterly, seeing through my tears my fists clenching the blanket fabric that covered me. Apparently, someone came in but escaped after seeing me. I covered my face with the blanket and stifled my sobs.

Someone else rushed in.

"Rosy, calm down," John asked, sitting next to me and taking me by the shoulders. "What happens?"

I denied it, unable to calm down. He didn't love me. Was that what I was going to say? Was I crying because a man didn't want to see me anymore? Was it because he would go on without me, as he deserved?

John hugged me, and I had to try to stop crying. It hurt, but it was useless. I just wanted to vent everything I had put up with. I took a deep breath and was left shedding silent tears.

"It's okay," he consoled me. "Did Acrux tell you something?" I couldn't answer. Not only didn't want to but I couldn't either. My voice didn't come out, and I had a huge lump in my throat. "Tania told me you were hysteric." I couldn't believe she saw me like that. What a mess. "She insinuated it was because of him...." If he already knew, then with less reason would I answer. I could only realize how gray the day was getting for me. "I think I told you it was not worth crying for anyone, especially for that emotionally unstable evolved guy."

My lips curved into a fleeting smile.

"He's not unstable," I said with a small voice. "You know everything he's been through..."

"Well. On top of that, you excuse him." He blew out a heavy sigh. "Anyway, please don't cry anymore."

I took a deep breath again.

"Thank you," I whispered.

I hugged him, finding some comfort in that. Something told me it would happen anyway. Acrux would leave, but at least I had tried. I had tried to get my love back, but it was useless. From the beginning, he already belonged to another girl, and he would continue to be so.

***

A few hours later, I refused to eat. The worst part was that I didn't know if my lack of appetite was due to the toxin in my body or my sadness.

"Have you not eaten yet?" Tania demanded, entering. I huffed silently and looked away in annoyance. "I don't know what you gain by acting like that."

How the hell did she dare to talk to me?

"I'm not hungry and don't want to see you," I whispered.

She had touched my Acrux when he seemed to be mine, and she dared to stand before me?

"You love playing the victim." she continued, and I looked at her angrily. She crossed her arms, returning the gesture. "Get out of that bed and make your life. Come on. Let him see that it doesn't hurt. Let him see that you can also forget him with another and with other goals." I arched an eyebrow. "I feel annoyed by women whining at a man as if he were the last one. It doesn't matter if he is evolved. He is a man, and that's how they are. They immediately forget about you, and I feel bothered by your attitude. Get it over and eat."

She stormed out, leaving me completely stumped.

Maybe someone once hurt her too...

I shook my head. I wouldn't worry about her. I snorted and saw the plate of food. A soup, low in sodium, with almost no meat, and some protein strips. Horror. I took a deep breath and decided that, indeed, it was useless to spend the rest of my days regretting it. I had things to do. I wanted to continue studying and thus obtain better positions and lead my life as others did. To tie myself to a man, even if I loved him and wanted him madly, was nonsense.