Chapter 25: A bitter surprise

Rosy's POV

Of course, I was crazy. Maybe I was risking them too, but I had heard well the plan, and I wasn't going to enter or interfere. If there was a device that could deactivate the chips of the evolved men, I wanted to be there by his side.

They left in three vans, and I went in the last one, where Acrux was not, but Tania was. She stared at me suspiciously, probably because I was awkwardly small and weak looking, even with all the equipment and the helmet covering my face. If she noticed me, she didn't say anything; if she didn't, she was too distracted or worried to do so. I opted for the first option.

When we arrived, George and Max went out and talked to the guards. They opened the gates to let us in. They had already agreed to come, but the few insides did not know. We entered the place. I tried to stay in my group, away from the evolved men ahead. However, one turned to look at us. Even though he was wearing the helmet, I obviously recognized his body. I got nervous, not knowing if Acrux had sniffed me or if he was looking just because.

"I wasn't expecting any inspection," I heard a man claim, perhaps one of the superiors.

When he appeared in front of us, he looked at us with a frown, and not only that, I noticed that Acrux clenched his fists. Was it someone he recognized? Another man appeared.

"We must see the stock rooms," Max spoke. "Government's order."

"Sure," the man replied mockingly. "The government does not rule here."

"These people weren't supposed to be here," someone behind me whispered.

It was a problem then.

They drew weapons, and shots were exchanged in the blink of an eye. I screamed, trying to cover myself and run to the exit, but those running pushed me in the opposite direction. I collided with a guy with a helmet, he made me away, and I ran into another. I screamed and was pushed out again, hearing a shot very close to my face. I covered my ears and felt a sting on my arm after being pushed again. My helmet fell.

Someone took me, and I screamed again amid all the chaos that had broken out. I ended up against the wall with someone's arms on either side.

"Who the hell let you come?!" Acrux demanded angrily.

"I wanted to come!"

'"It's dangerous!"

An explosion made him surround me to protect me with his body. I was terrified, but if he had recognized one of those guys, he was wasting time with me.

"Go help! I'll be fine!"

"Not until I see you leave!"

He picked me up, but someone was aiming at him when he turned around. I gasped, hiding my face behind his shoulder.

"We meet again," said the man.

Acrux put me on the ground and moved me behind his back quickly. I clung to his shirt, holding back the crying of fear, especially fear that he would do something to Acrux.

"I thought you were already dead."

"You wish," my boy answered, with a lot of anger. Was he the one who had killed his brother? The one who killed Meadow? "If someone is going to die here, it will be you all."

So they were more men.

"Hector wants you back, and you guys are so smart that the five of you have come straight into the lion's den."

I started to shake. Acrux tried to calm me down by bringing his arm back to press me against his back. I took out the small gun John had given me and put it in his hand.