Chapter 20

It was a demon slayer, but a powerful one by the strength of his aura. He wore a mismatched haori and had long, black hair tied into a low ponytail. His eyes were ocean blue and his skin was pale.

That must be Giyu Tomioka. Tanjiro talked about him.

His eyes glanced at you hugging Rui, his eyes narrowing at the sight. He held out his sword, looking at Tanjiro with both surprise and suspicion. You remembered Tanjiro telling him to that he was the one who sent him to Urokodaki and that he let them live.

He asked, glaring at you slightly,
" Why are you protecting it? It's a lower moon, they don't deserve mercy after everyone they've killed,"

You responded, feeling Rui tense up in your grasp from the sudden commentary of the demon slayer,
" Because he's just a little kid, there's always some good in evil, that depends on how merciful the person is though,"

Rui's gaze lowered to the floor in guilt, he was right. He killed so many innocent lives just for him to live and at what cost? All he wanted was a family, a family that truly cared, now he's found one.

Tanjiro begged Giyu to understand him, trying to explain how he can trust you. Giyu wanted to believe him, he wanted to stop what he was doing, but before he could do anything another presence appeared behind him.

He blocked the attack of the sudden insect hashira, Shinobu Kochou. Smiling in irritation and annoyance, she glanced at you holding the lower moon like he hasn't done anything wrong in the world, making her blood boil inside.

Giyu stood in front of you both protectively, knowing he can trust you both after some hesitation. You pulled Nezuko close with your other hand as Tanjiro fell to the floor from exhaustion of using the mysterious breathing technique of his.

Ignoring both of the hashira bickering, you knelt down to his level in concern, noticing how he winced every time he moved. You didn't have time to heal him as you heard Giyu order you to run.

You looked at Nezuko,
" I'll stay here with Tanjiro, you protect yourself and Rui, alright?"

She nodded with a hum, a determined look in her pink gaze as she grabbed Rui's hand and began to run down the mountain, being chased by another demon slayer.

You slowly helped Tanjiro up, placing his arm over your shoulder and wrapping your arm around his waist, supporting his balance. He thanked you, trying to give you a kind smile but didn't turn out great due to the pain he was experiencing.

Shinobu commented,
" You have a lot of explaining to do Tomioka, protecting a demon and a lower moon is surely breaking the core rules. I wonder how the master would feel about this,"

To ease Tanjiro's pain, you travelled your power through the embrace, flowing along your body and onto Tanjiro. The hashira were to busy speaking to notice as he looked at you in surprise.

His body began to slowly stop aching along with the feeling of a broken rib inside him fix, slowly following each other. He sighed in relief, enjoying the fact he can breathe without having to feel a hard pain in his rib cage.

A crow hovered over the forest, yelling in a deafening voice,
" TANJIRO AND Y/N L/N ARE TO BE BROUGHT BACK TO THE MASTER'S MANSION FOR TRIAL! "

You winced at the sudden yell of the crow, your grip around Tanjiro tightening as you felt him slowly become better, but not completely due to you having a time limit.

He politely told you to stop, worried by the fact you'll lose your energy and hurt yourself. You obliged, noticing the scrapes on his face were gone, looking like he'd never get beaten up by a spider demon child.

You were soon both knocked out.

                —————————————

You woke up with your hands tied behind your back and seem to be led on pebbles, which were not comfortable. You slowly got up, noticing Tanjiro was still unconscious beside you.

You looked at the people standing a few feet away from you, the hashira. They were all colorful and seemed to have their own style.

You asked, glaring at them slightly,
" Where's my brother and sister? Killua and Alluka?"

Some of them glanced at each other as some just stared at you blankly. Before any of them could respond Alluka ran from behind them and hugged you tightly, sobbing into your shoulder,
" I thought I lost you big sister! Let's just get through this trial and we can eat mochi will Mitsuri!"

You just smiled at her with a nod, not noticing Mitsuri blushing at Alluka's cuteness. Muichiro led Alluka out of the way, holding his usual emotionless expression.

You sighed, getting slightly bored of sitting here before breaking the silence,
" Can you at least untie me? This is really uncomfortable,"

You decided to go with being polite, considering it's your trial. You can easily break out of the restraints, but they won't trust you so easily if you do that.

The butterfly woman responded, never taking the smile of her face, but her aura said something different,
" I'm afraid not, we can't trust that you'll attack us, so this is the best option,"

You rolled your eyes at her statement, sitting crossed legged on the pebbles.

This was going to be a long day.