TWELVE

VANCE HAD been driving for hours

VANCE HAD been driving for hours. The two teens were exhausted from all this. Something that wouldn't leave Blues head was that bad guys were now on the hunt for them. With Blue being their main target, Vance had made it his responsibility to protect her.
          "You know, it's gonna be over sooner or later. And once it's done we can go back to normal." The boy spoke up, not tearing his eyes away from the road. "Vance we both know nothing is gonna be the same after this. My mom will never let me leave the house alone again, my brother will be my personal bodyguard, Clara won't ever let go of me, I'll have a reputation of being wanted as a murderer, and... this." She pointed between her and Vance.
"Will never be the same."

He gripped the wheel knowing everything she was saying was 100% true. One thing he hated most was the truth. The truth always put you in deeper than if you lied. And he believed that.
        "Where even are we?" Blue asked, sitting up in her seat, looking out the window to find any signs. "Good question." He responded, flipping on the radio. The girl sat back in her seat with a sigh.

All she wanted was the comfort of her brother and a warm bed. She was thinking about the future a little to much. Thinking about how her and Vance's relationship would be afterwards.
       She thought he knew to much now and couldn't just let him go.

"Vance?" She asked, rolling her head to look at him. "Hm?" He responded, not bothering to even look at her. "What's gonna happen to us? Like not what's gonna happen if those people find us again but... what's gonna happen with me and you?" She rambled, trying to make her sound less desperate.

"I don't know. We'll probably go back to hating each other. Ignoring each other's existence. Beating each other up when we feel like it." He shrugged, finally pulling his eyes off the road and over at her. The girl couldn't help but feel her heart drop. The girl had grown a liking to the boy she once hated and didn't want it to stop now.
        "But... what if we didn't? Like just think about it, what if we never hated each other in the first place. We'd probably be friends you know." She ranted, looking out the window to avoid eye contact. "Where's this coming from?" He asked, a bit taken back by what she had said. "Just thinking about the future knowing how much I'm gonna hate it."

The boy nodded, looking back at the deserted road. "Maybe we could be... something." He mumbled, silence setting upon them yet again. Blue looked out the frosty window, looking at all the trees they passed although it was dark.
Another hour had passed, Blue had fallen asleep uncomfortably in the leather seat while Vance kept driving to their unknown destination. He eventually saw a sign, slowing down the car to take a glimpse at it.

The sign had how many miles it would take to drive to the next town. He was instantly relieved, putting the car back to its normal speed. To his luck it had started snowing, causing him to groan and turn on the windshield wipers. Blue groaned as she had gotten woken up by scolding hot air coming out of the vents.

"Where are we?" She asked quietly, sitting up in her seat. "Almost to a town." He replied. She gave a small smile, leaning her head back with a sigh. "How's your mom gonna react when you get back home?" She said, thinking out loud. "She'll care. That's all I know." She knew she struck a soft spot causing her to shut up. "What about you? And your dad." He asked.