Can't we all just be friends?

He laughs lightly, shaking his head. "No." To many zombies outside not to mention the one inside. "It has been carrying your sword around like he will use it or something." My sword; Jacob. I panic. I always have it near me but in the last few days I have abandoned it, abandoned him.

"I need my sword." I say shifting to the edge of the bed and swinging my legs over.

"Okay" Jack responds without a fight or second thought. He knows how I am about my sword and knows why I am the way I am about it so he leaves the room and that's when I hear a growl and some shouting. Getting up I head out the door to see Bie and him scowling at each other. "Give me the damn sword." Jack demands.

Bie's growls deepens in response. "Bie." I warn and test his name at the same time. His face immediately softens as he turns towards me, eye wide. Seeing him like this melts my heart and I have to school my face so I don't make an awe face. Lest Jack think I have fallen for this zom–wild human. "Bie '' I repeat. "Can I have my sword please?" I stretch out my only good hand as he huffs out a breath and reluctantly hands me the sword by the hilt, holding the pointy end towards himself.

When I grip it Bie fully lets go, the weight of it pulls the muscles in my arms and my body tenses to bear the weight one handed, but I hold the sword up with one hand and then let the tip fall to the ground and rest there. "So?" I ask them both, getting only confused frowns in response.

"So...what?" Jack asks not taking his eyes off Bie.

"We need to get–'' get where exactly? I am hurt but a broken arm won't stop me.

Jack speaks up, finally looking at me, his eyes softened. "What we need to do is get you to the colony to make sure your arm is going to be okay. The longer we spend out here the more likely you are to have long term damage, not to mention an infection." He is right, I know this but...

"What about Bie?" He eyes him and looks at me.
"I don't think it can be around humans. Look what it keeps doing to me. Growling. Gwen, that's not normal."

"I know," I say defeatedly. If I get my arm properly fixed and even wait until it's healed I can try the tower again. I can still get the information out there. It will just take longer and Bie might even be a full human by the end. I sigh defeated and know what I should do. "You are right, but we can't just leave him."

"We can't bring him into the colony. He can still infect others."

"We don't know that." I say defensively. "We can teach him how to be human again. Jack's eye twitches and he throws his hands up.

"Fine! As long as we are going back to the colony." At that moment my stomach decides to growl.

"I guess humans do growl." I joke but Jack doesn't take it. Looking over at Bie I see him smile. At least someone liked my joke.

Jack clearly sees his smile but is ignoring Bie's human emotion that is clearly on his face. I want to shake Jack and force him to understand, to see what a freaking miracle Bie is. "Here" Jack says holding out his hand for me to take but I don't. It remains floating in that space for a moment as if hoping I will reach out and take it but I don't. Jack has anyway been a nice guy but I can't explain it, I feel like he is like trying to mark me as his territory in front of Bie. Nah. I am just over thinking things. I watch as Jack's hand drops between us and takes my hand holding my arm so he thinks I need to hold it for the pain. This way I don't hurt his feelings.

He doesn't seem bothered by my slight rejection and waves me back the way I came. "Let's get you some food. You have a lot, and I mean a lot of canned food in your pack."

Turning I follow him. "Yeah I found a house not far away and marked it. I haven't checked out this house yet."

"Don't bother, I already did and there was nothing to be found except for a fridge full of mold." I make a face as we enter thinking of all the mold ridden fridges that I have seen and smelled. "Are they creamed corn like that house we hit one time?" He asks, laughing, setting me at ease.