Five.

Justin

I sighed as I sat on the couch and flicked on the TV. I grabbed my cigarette box and grabbed one out. I pulled one between my lips and lit the end. I took a long drag and I felt automatically relaxed.

I wasn't completely filled with joy that I had sit here and babysit Mason's girlfriend. I don't know why she would even tell anyone our business.

It confused me why Mason trusted random strangers and not his girlfriend that he's been with for years. Mason was a cool guy but I have yet to fully understand him.

I looked over at the clock and read the time.

7:30pm.

I should ask Aubrey if she's hungry.

I took in as much as my cigarette as I could before putting it out on the ashtray on the table.

Aubrey confused me too. I barely knew her so not personality wise. But when I looked at her... she seems lost. Her eyes read something that I can't put my finger on. But something tells me she wasn't always this way. That once her eyes were full of life.

And for some reason, I wanted to understand the darkness and hollowness hidden in her eyes.

I climbed up the stairs and stood in front of her door. I knocked a few times until the door opened on its own. I licked my lips and opened it completely.

She laid in her bed, snoozing away. Her breathing was easy with her comforter wrapped around her small body.

I closed the door behind me and slowly walked towards her until her face came into my vision.

I meant what I told her when Mason was lucky to have a girl like her. She is beautiful. She has naturally tanned skin with dark brown hair. She seemed so fragile, like I would be terrified to grab her too rough or she would break which is why when she flinched when I grabbed her earlier, I loosened my grip quickly.

I sat on the bed next to her which caused her to stir. I took that moment to gently tap her.

"Aubrey." I whispered. She stirred some more and I called her name again but a little louder.

"Aubrey." Her eyes fluttered open as she turned to look up at me. Her big, wide eyes staring at me attentively.

"I'm sorry to wake you. It's almost 8 and I wanted to know if you were hungry." I said in a low tone. She blinked a few times and started to sit up. She let a sigh escape her lips and eased her pace as she sat up.

"Um, yeah that would be nice." her voice raspy until she cleared her throat and rubbed her eyes. I gave her a small smile once she removed her hands which she slowly returned.

"Alright. Just stay here and I'll make something." she nodded and sighed, as I began walking out. Her phone in her hands but her eyes still glued on me as I looked back. She noticed I caught her and looked back down to her phone, causing me to smirk as I walked out and headed back downstairs.

*

The sound of light footsteps made me look back. Aubrey walked into the kitchen and had a small smile on her face as she looked at me.

"Hm, never pegged a gang member to know how to cook." she teased, causing me to smirk and shake my head.

"Guess because I'm much more than just a 'gang member'" I said, adding emphasize on the last two words. She smiled bigger which caused me to smile.