-04-

Beautiful

Beautiful.

That's the word I would use to describe this wolf in front of me. The one thing that stands out, the eyes.

'Such a cutie!'

"Hello there." I cut the silence.

The wolf looks down at my ankle with its bright pink eyes. It walks up to me slowly as if not to scare me away.

Why haven't I ever seen this wolf before?

It reaches me and nudges my knee slightly. Maybe it's asking about my ankle?

"Are you asking about my ankle?" I ask.

The wolf looks back up at me and nods.

"I thought a gnome tricked me by going down a path, so I ignored it going a different direction. Turns out it used reverse psychology or something. Then I slipped off this small slope," I pointed at the muddy hill, "and I think I sprained my ankle."

The wolf walks over and lowers themselves next to me while turning its head and looking at me expectantly.

"You want me to hop on your back?" I ask.

The wolf huffs and nods.

I hesitantly throw my foot over them and make myself comfortable. Its fur is so soft!

The wolf rises and begins to tread through the forest carefully, so I don't slip off.

"What's your name?" I blurt out.

It stops and tilts his head up to look at me.

Oh right.

Can't talk.

"If you grant me access, I can mind-link you." I say.

The wolf looks confused, but I feel access granted in my mind.

'Hey. I'm Scarlett.'

'I'm Justin,' he says while facing ahead and beginning his journey once again. 'Are you a wolf too? How can you mind-link?'

'I'm not a wolf. I have one though, my dad used to be one. I have the hearing, sight, mind-link, and a wolf in my head but I can't shift.'

'Was your dad part of the Galaxia Pack?'

'Yes. He passed away when I was around 5 from a broken heart.'

'I'm sorry to hear that.'

His steps quicken since there aren't many roots to trip on. I hold his fur and lean forward slightly.

'I'm taking you to the pack doctor by the way. You just hopped on no questions asked.' He mused.

'Yeah, I figured you would take me to the pack. That's where I need to go anyway.'

'Do you live there?' He asks, confused. 'If so, I don't recognize you.'

'No, I don't. I live in the West. I was here a few weeks ago though.'