Chapter 22

McKayla continued seeing a therapist. Partly because she needed to make it convincing to her friends that she was troubled and needed help; and partly because she really did need it. She needed someone to talk to in private about everything that had really happened to her.

Her doctors said that her leg was healing excellently. Since it was only a fracture and not a complete break, it wouldn't take as long to heal. With a good physical therapist once her cast was off, her doctors said she would be good to go dance in time for her audition in Chicago.

McKayla's friends were very helpful and understanding of the situation. Chris especially.

Now, McKayla's healing process was almost complete. Her foot was put into a walking boot now instead of a cast. It was getting close to the end of the year and senior prom was approaching. McKayla wasn't sure she was going, but it didn't look like Chris and Carlie were either.

Carlie's grandfather in Connecticut had recently passed away. So not only was she going through a hard time, but the funeral in Connecticut was scheduled over the weekend that Prom took place. So she was still deciding which one she was going to.

In other news, Chris was in the process of finding his own place to live. He and the band were now also trying to move things forward with their music.

Now, Chris was picking up McKayla for school as he usually did. Eventually, the black van in the neighborhood seemed to have disappeared; however, Chris still felt better if he knew that McKayla was with him and safe.

McKayla opens the door and her eyes widen when she sees Chris.

"Woah. What up with the hair?"

Chris had put blonde streaks in his hair and it was more spiked up.

Chris shrugs, "Thought I'd try something new."

"Well it looks good." McKayla says, walking out. She could walk with her boot; she just had to be careful.

"How's Carlie doing?" McKayla asks.

"Not good. Better, but not good. I was with her most of last night. Her family's just going through a rough time. And she's really upset that the funeral is the weekend of Prom, but she really wants to go to Connecticut with her family. I don't blame her though; I would too." Chris says, opening the passenger side door for McKayla. They get in the car and drive off.

"So. Are you going to Prom?" Chris asks.

"Probably not."

"What? Why?"

"'Cause I don't know anyone else at that school that I could go with and I don't wanna be a third wheel with Ange and Kelly. Plus, a big boot on my foot doesn't really go with a prom dress."

"Come on. You didn't go to Prom last year because of something that someone else did." Chris says, referring to Phil leaving. Remember, Chris doesn't know that Phil was actually killed.

"And now, you're not gonna go to your Prom again because Jamie apparently wasn't the right guy for you. Kayla, you've been through so much. You deserve to go to your Prom."

"I don't know..."

"Okay. What if I decide to go?"

McKayla raises an eyebrow at him.

Chris rolls his eyes, "It wouldn't be like a date or anything; but we could still go and hang out."

"And Carlie would be okay with that?"

"I don't see why not. We'd just be hanging out."

McKayla pauses, thinking.

"Yeah, alright." She says.