Chapter 4

Chapter 4

One thing about my father's family is that they know how to make everything about themselves. uNontsundu, yes there will be no prefix in front of her name because she doesn't deserve it, has never set foot in our home since our father's passing yet here she is, wailing from the top of her lungs for 'her brother's son' like she's raised him. She's honestly infuriating me. I leave everyone gawking at her and head to the lounge to check on my mother whom I know will be greatly affected by this one's presence. Nontsundu has always managed to rile my mother up ever since I can remember. I find my mother sitting on one of the couches, deep in thought, with no emotion or reaction to what's going on outside. "Ma," call to her. She jerks at the sound of my voice and looks towards the direction that I'm coming. I flop myself beside her and look at her as she stares at me with glossy eyes; my heart can't help but break at the sight in front of me. The ever-so-bubbly Zandile is nowhere to be found. "Are you okay?" Stupid question I know. I gently place my head on her shoulder just to absorb a bit of her warmth. "Mm," she says in response and leans her head against mine before releasing a deep breath. Oh, umama wam madoda. (My mother people) "NguNontsundu neh lo uphandle?" she says after a while of us sitting in silence. (It's Nontsundu who is outside) I nod my head against her shoulder because I honestly have no words when it comes to the woman. A moment later, Anga walks in, no let me rephrase that, marches inside the lounge and begrudgingly says, "I hate them! Ndiyabazonda ababantu. Why are they even here? We don't need them; we were doing just fine without them. Asibadingi." (I hate these people... We don't need them) My mom looks at him, exhausted and reprimands him from saying anything further by shaking her head at him. "Now is not the time mntasekhaya. There's nothing we can do, they are our family," I try to reason with him. (My brother) He huffs and stomps his feet out of the lounge when the audience from outside makes its way back into the lounge. Like him, I also excuse myself.

I make my way to my bedroom as I'm no longer in the mood for seeing anyone or doing anything. As soon as I enter my bedroom, I throw myself on the bed and fish my phone out of the apron that I'm wearing and check my messages; nothing recent from Siya though I can see that he sent me Themba's number. I save his number and call Siya to check up on him, "Missing me already?" he answers on the first ring. Is this one not driving na?

"Sthandwa sam, usahamba kakuhle?" (My love, are you still travelling okay)

"Ewe sthandwa sam, ndisahamba kakuhle. Are you okay?" (Yes, my love, I'm still travelling okay)

"Yes, I'm okay, love although I'm a bit tired."

"Maybe you should take a nap, don't you think?" (Thank you)

A nap sounds really good. I know I need it. Everything about what's going on is draining me. This should be the happiest stage of my life, but I can't even take a moment to savour any of it and be thankful because of this dark cloud that's hanging over my family.

"MaDlamini! MaDlamini!"

"Yes, yes. I'm here. I'm here."

"Are you okay? You went silent on me there. What's going on?"

"No... noth... Nothing. I'm okay," I say with a cracking voice as I try to hold back my tears.

"No, you're not, otherwise you wouldn't be crying. Now tell me, what's wrong?"

Damn it! Get it together Zamo. I really don't want him to worry about me while he has his own problems to take care of.

"I'm okay my love, I promise."

"Mm. For now, I'll let it slide because I don't want to stress you or my children any further. But we will talk about this because I know you're lying to me. Now have some rest, I'll call you as soon as I arrive home, okay?"